Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: wall mount rod holder

Post Thanks / Like

Default wall mount rod holder

Hello -

I would like to hear your ideas / see your pictures for an inexpensive way to store my rods (I was thinking horizontal storage). They vary in length from 4 1/2' to 7'. I have some wood working tools and elementary skills with said tools. I don't need anything fancy or to be a work of art. Just something functional.

Thanks for the help guys.
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post Thanks / Like

In your boat or home?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big C View Post
    In your boat or home?
    Sorry. In my home. Specifically in the garage. More specifically over a table where I store my tackle and other fishing gear.
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm of a different school when it comes to storage. Wall storage takes wall space and is at a level where there is a lot of traffic, hence they get bumped and maybe damaged. I find the rafters and hang them from the ceiling. several ways of doing this, and I haven't damaged a rod since I started storing them like this several years ago. Rafters are on 2' centers and I usually put the supports 4' apart. Make an angle from a couple of 1X3s, or a T, and starting 2 1/2" from the end lay out centered marks 5" apart. Drill these with the hole saw used for a doorknob(2 1/8") and don't drill them all the way thru from one side as this will cause splintering. Drill one side fairly deep, and finish from the other side, the pilot hole will keep you aligned. This end is for the handles. Do the same layout on another 1X3 and put 1" cup hooks in these marks, this is for the tip ends. When you put a rod in it needs to have the reels as close as possible to the rack so the weight is carried by the rack and not by the rod which will cause a bow. They can be as close together as you want if you turn the racks across the rafters should you have some real short of soft action rods. for the rack in the pic looks didn't matter and I used some 1 1/2" hooks for the reel end and 1" cup hooks for the lighter end, and added some extra's to support the 10 and 12 footers. Hope this gives you something to start the thought processes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 4558
Size:  28.5 KB
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

That's a nice lookin setup Skeetbum

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for the ideas guys. Keep 'em comin.