Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another screwed up world record bass

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another screwed up world record bass

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/f...=ESPNHeadlines

I don't get these guys. They spend half thier lives fishing for a record bass. Then when they get one they don't weight it properly and release it. This is the third time in 9 yrs this has happened. Such stupidity. I'm not sure if the next WR bass is going to be worth 1 mill like they say, but it is going to be worth a lot. I guess it was also foul hooked, but he didn't "intentionally" do it, so technically it can still be considered for the WR. No way they should take his word that he didn't intentionally foul hook it. This bass should never be recognised as the WR. Yes, it was over 25 lbs, but foul hooked is foul hooked and it mars the accomplishment. Too bad.

Can you imagine a crappie fisherman releasing a 6lb crappie after weighing it on a hand scale? NEVER!! I also wonder what a world record crappie would be worth commercially. I'm sure not as much as a WR bass, but the crappie industry is getting pretty monied. I bet it would be worth quite a bit in endorsments. Especially if it was kept alive.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 03-26-2006 at 03:33 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that it is illegal in California to keep a spawning fish that has been foul hooked. The fish was released and it is for certain that the whole world now knows there is at least 1 world record swimming free in that lake.

I'll bet that the boat traffic there will be tremendous this summer.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink old news ......

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ
    http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/f...=ESPNHeadlines

I don't get these guys. They spend half thier lives fishing for a record bass. Then when they get one they don't weight it properly and release it. This is the third time in 9 yrs this has happened. Such stupidity. I'm not sure if the next WR bass is going to be worth 1 mill like they say, but it is going to be worth a lot. I guess it was also foul hooked, but he didn't "intentionally" do it, so technically it can still be considered for the WR. No way they should take his word that he didn't intentionally foul hook it. This bass should never be recognised as the WR. Yes, it was over 25 lbs, but foul hooked is foul hooked and it mars the accomplishment. Too bad.

Can you imagine a crappie fisherman releasing a 6lb crappie after weighing it on a hand scale? NEVER!! I also wonder what a world record crappie would be worth commercially. I'm sure not as much as a WR bass, but the crappie industry is getting pretty monied. I bet it would be worth quite a bit in endorsments. Especially if it was kept alive.
    Grizz ... did you read this thread ? --- http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=17897

Now, to address your questions/statements:

This is the "First" time, a Bass, bigger than the current WR ... has been caught and documented with this much detail. It's also, most probably, the same fish that has been caught 3 times over the last 6 yrs.
    The fish was released to insure its survival ... and because it wasn't caught in a "sporting manner" (even though it was unintentionally done).
    The next WR Bass, caught and documented and awarded the title ... will be worth SEVERAL million dollars (endorsements, bounties, seminars, etc).
    The fish was caught "sight fishing" in 12-15ft of water, on a jig ... when the fish went towards the bait, the angler thought it had taken the jig in its mouth, so he set the hook. It would appear that he set the hook prematurely, and hung the Bass in the side (foul hooked). His decision to "document" the fish is understandable ... his decision to release the fish, and continue the hunt for the WR, without any controversy, is commendable.
    The fish was "foul hooked" ... and according to Calif. law, must be released "immediately" -- that alone is enough to negate any debate over whether or not it should be considered as a WR. But, even the Game Officers understood the tendancy towards documenting such a catch (and even had reservations about enforcing the laws, under the circumstances, had they been present). The fact that it was foul hooked only "mars the accomplishment", in the minds of "some" .... and that was enough for the angler to back off from attempting to use this catch to break the existing WR.
    Some even doubt the validity of the current WR Bass (Perry's fish) ... which was eaten. A 6lb Crappie has already "supposedly" been caught, weighed, and eaten .. in Louisiana. But, it was never submitted to any World Record scrutiny ... nor offically documented. And what about the big "to do" over the WR Smallmouth ?? It has only recently been cleared of any controversy over its weight and validity as a WR.

I doubt there would be "millions" to be made with a new WR Crappie ... but, you can bet there'd be some serious PR money being spent by the companies of the equipment used (rod/reel/line/bait/boat/etc). Having the live fish available for showing, would also be worth a chunk of change !!! ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the show yesterday where they interviewed these guys.I have to say that I think they deserve a pat on the back for being honest.When they seen that so many people didn't approve of them filing for the record they just quit trying.How many would have done that? They said that if and when they ever get another chance they want no doughts about it being a record.For that alone you have to respect them..

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, as a Californian, I'm not impressed by a large bass that comes from a trout stocked lake. Would it have grown to world record size without a steady diet of stocked trout? Not likley. And I take issue with genetically altered stocked mega-trout that are considered for world record status. Now, a world record bluegill, that would impress me! I can't even imagine a bluegill over 4 1/2 pounds. Wow! Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

I aint releasing no fish that may be a record breaker. id put it in a cooler with water and plenty of ice. that will keep the fish from dehydrating till i could get it weighed on certified scales with plenty of witnesses. as much as you hear about folks wanting to catch the world record bass, im suprised that someone had the fish and then released it without gettin it certified.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunfish
    Personally, as a Californian, I'm not impressed by a large bass that comes from a trout stocked lake. Would it have grown to world record size without a steady diet of stocked trout? Not likley. And I take issue with genetically altered stocked mega-trout that are considered for world record status. Now, a world record bluegill, that would impress me! I can't even imagine a bluegill over 4 1/2 pounds. Wow! Dave.
    Sunfish,

I'm with you. A 4 1/2 lbs bluegill is something to talk about. WOW!!!!! Same with that WR shellcracker out of SC. That is truly amazing. Hand fed big green carp, no big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I for one think he was smart. He turned that fish back. And one of the bunch will catch it again and this time it will be a record. They were right as it being foul hooked it would not be a record. Now if its caught again it will be this time.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

The only forum I have the time to check regularly is this one, so I missed that post, but I guarantee you that if Mike Long had caught that fish at 25lbs that there would be a WR with his name in it. I'm pretty familiar with Lake Dixon and most of the other WR possable lakes in CA and plan to fish them sometime.

Yes, the guy was noble and very PC for releasing the bass and stop trying to get his world record. On the other hand I am sure there are other WR bass swimming in the waters of florida california texas or mexico. I'm also sure that there are millions of world class bass swimming in the worlds waters that will happily keep reproducing other world class bass, BUT when a man catches the largest bass ever recorded on rod and reel, he should do whatever is humanly possible to keep the fish alive, weight it, measure it, and document the catch within and inch of his own life, and if he fails to do that he is an idiot of the first class in my opinion.

I personally release 99% of the fish I catch as carefully and quickly with as little trauma to the fish as my expert hands can manage, but when a fish comes into my hands that is worth several million dollars I am not going to get all fuzzy hearted and brained and release the fish until its properly documented. If the fish dies it will sadden me, because I love fish and angling for them, and I value them a great deal, but the value of saving one fish is not several million dollars. That guys fuzzy heart and brain cost him a very healthy retirement income and near immortality for his name.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 03-26-2006 at 11:21 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Default WR Bass

To me its a WR but an unethical catch. One of the other WR fish that was not verified was said to be fattened up in a pond before the incident supposidly occured. At least this guy was honest enought to say how he caught it, but yes they dont make sense. Im shure ther are morequestionable catches to come. But wow the belly on that fish was nice, big green eatin machine!
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast