Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My fishing buddy broke his leg

Post Thanks / Like

Default My fishing buddy broke his leg

I've been taking my little fishing buddy with me on the little pond boat hunting crappie, he's a 9 month old mini Dachshund, his name is Theyda, smart as heck and just as stubborn with a short attention span, in fact i've trained him to sniff and point out the crappie for me, kinda like a Hummingdird 897d Si Di with a tail. I trained him to spot the crappie on land, i borrowed some crappie from a guy i know and when he sniffs and points the right fish (the crappie) i give him a treat, his favorite is those little chicken leg chew bones, he goes nuts for those things. Well, last night my girlfried and i were riding around and i was talking to her about going crappie fishing in the morning, during the conversation every time i said crappie we would hear a little howl outta him in the back seat, so i figured he was getting excited about going fishing, after driving a few minutes i turned my head back to ask Theyda about going crappie fishing and get him worked up. after about two or three minutes of teasing him and useing the "C" word (crappie), just as i look back he throws the bag of doggie treats out the window opens the door and jumps out, at 50 miles an hour!!!
    Well we turned around and found the spot where he had landed, we both called him and called him, finally found him dragging the bag of doggie treats in his mouth and dragging a broken back leg also, dang dog had crawled almost a half a mile out into a field before we found him and for some reason was snarling and snapping at me, heck, we didn't have to go through all that drama, if he didn't wanna go fishing all he had to do is say so. $300 at the vet hospital, and several bites on my hand, but hey that's okay payback will come when duck seaon starts!
    Hey, catchin' fish is easy, finding thems the hard part.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear your buddy got his leg broke. But the bites on the hand you deserve, teasing that poor dog that way!
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your buddy but I think you pissed him off RoflRoflRofl

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, i don't think he'll ever get in a boat with me again, maybe he's smarter than i thought
    Hey, catchin' fish is easy, finding thems the hard part.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your pal. Shoulda teased em with bass or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Got tired of my dog peeing in the boat, now she waits in the back yard till I bring fish home.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanna know how a dog "opens the door and jumps out"? My mini dachsund ain't that smart....lol

Post Thanks / Like

I cringed when I read this. We have two minis and both love to be in the boat as well as ride in the truck. I've always worried about them, especially Buster, trying to jump out the open window. When they ride, the window locks are always engaged. The little turd puts his front paws on the door arm rest and pushes the buttons. He locked me out of the truck once, luckily I talked him into stepping on the unlock button. Take care of that little guy and watch him close.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

That sux.....I think I worry about the dog more when I'm fishing than any other time and unfortunately they sometimes get hurt!

I'm always unsure whether I wanna take my Great Dane or not. She loves it but often likes to charge into the water after my lures...or the fish I'm bringing in Doh. She always seems to step on snakes and she insists on standing as close to me as possible when I'm wading or balancing on small bolders in the middle of a raging river! ....and as much as she hates swimming (sinks like a stone at a lean 140 lbs), she'll darn near kill herself trying to get to me.

Once I was perched on a bolder and she was right behind me practically balancing on two legs on another rock (to be close to me). I tossed a rooster tail and snagged it on my backswing....I tugged to get it out of the tree, nothing. I turned around and tugged harder, that time I noticed her whole hide tugging around her body...I HAD HOOKED HER !! She just looked at me calmly, so I cut her loose and told her to go to shore. I met her on land and found I had hooked two of the treble barbs and one of them went through the meat and out the otherside....gathering up a little pinch of flesh in between. My cheap pliers didn't have a cutter, so I backed one barb out and with my pocket knife had to cut almost an inch into her meat to pull the 2nd one out!!!

She didn't even flinch the whole time, just licked my nose when I cut it out....so I wiped it with alcohol and we hiked 3 miles back to the car....
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!! 2kan, that's a wild story, a Great Dane huh, heck I'de have to get a bigger boat to carry a dog that big, and she sounds like she can take pain preet darn good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast