Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankbait Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crankbait Question

Today I tried pulling Cranks using Bandits. I have Okuma Pro 15 line counter reels with 10 pound test line on them. I was using 14 foot, 10 foot and 6 foot poles. When I reeled the bandit all the way up and zero out the line counter I noticed when I pull the bandit the length of the 14 foot pole the counter read 20 feet. I did the same thing for the 10 foot pole and the counter read 15 feet. Should I use a thicker line to get a accurate counter reading?

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't really matter. I just use the number as a reference to get my bait back to the same distance every time. If it reads 100' but is only 50' actual, you are still going to run it back to the 100' reading. If your spool isn't full, that could be the reason for the erroneous reading.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with feelay. Mine do the same, but I only put about 75% full with 10lb line. Mine seem to come out about 6 to 7 inches per count. So I just start with that and then change depth until I get a fish, then set all rods around that number, seems to work. But I just started pulling this year, but last Sunday it worked good, keep 10 fish over 12". For me in the summer that's good Thumbs Up, fished about 3 1/2 hours before the wind got too bad and the skiers / jetskies come out .
    The catfish sure will give ya a nice mess if don't watch out .
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Need more line on your spool.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

If the spool isnt full it makes for a smaller diameter spool which will take more spool turns to reach 14ft. which makes the NOs read higher. sounds like you are about half full

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

I have read here and been told that 75 to 80 % full, you have less problems with bird nests and other problems. It's been working for me so far, no bird nest yet.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not fill the spools up all the way with line,,if you get even a mild backlash,,line can get behind the spool,,and you have to be carful cutting it out,and pulling it out,,if you decide to take the reel apart,,you can get into a FUBAR situation of parts and pieces with no diagrams to go by.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I take mine apart all the time, even in the boat. The Okumas are bad about getting line behind the spool. I keep a small screw driver handy. It's just 4 screws to take the side plate off, then just a spool with one sprocket,,,very easy. I can do it in the boat in less than 5 minutes.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I only have them spooled about 50% so I will add more line.

Post Thanks / Like

tr, It may be too late now, but you can always keep old line on the bottom 1/3 or even 1/2 of your reel for filler. Keeps you from using so much new line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast