Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

View Poll Results: Over the next five years, I hope the number of crappie fisherman on my home lake will

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double

3 2.97%
  • Triple

1 0.99%
  • More than triple

3 2.97%
  • Increase 10-20%

17 16.83%
  • Stay the same

35 34.65%
  • Decrease

42 41.58%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Growth of the Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Default Growth of the Sport

How much do you want crappie fishing to grow over the next five years?
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 06-22-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's hard to define but I would like to see it grow to where there are opportunities for kids and non fishers to see more of it on TV, at boat shows with speakers, with tackle etc. We really haven't had any one of late than Wally Marshall. Their are some local guides for speakers at shows but it compares nothing to that of bass. But I think walleye has become a much more popular fish here in KS and I think that growth has come from a lot of those reasons.

Growth doesn't mean it all has to be big tournaments, 50k boats etc. But we need to get more kids involved and give them a reason to want to be on the water. With all of the other things for kids to do nowadays we have to be more involved early.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chadku View Post
    Growth doesn't mean it all has to be big tournaments, 50k boats etc.
    That's true. That's why I set up the poll to only reflect numbers of crappie fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadku View Post
    But we need to get more kids involved and give them a reason to want to be on the water. With all of the other things for kids to do nowadays we have to be more involved early.
    Agree completely.

Post Thanks / Like

It needs to have a gradual growth over the next few years and beyond. The Crappie just can't sustain a big improvement in numbers of people fishing for them all year long. Look at the number of people fishing for Bass and Walleye and look at the possession limits. That would happen to Crappie if a lot more people were catching them all year long. Leave them pretty much as they are and let the big tournement guys have their Bass and Walleye. I think the size of the Crappie would suffer greatly if they were to get as popular as the Bass and Walleye are. They are a great learning tool for the kids to learn to fish. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Maine it can stand a large increase as we have just super fishing and no fishermen. Winter we have alot more. Of coarse thats more for me. they are considered an invasive here and have no size or bag limit. People will learn with time. I get a lot of questions.

Post Thanks / Like

it will stay the same down in florida due to the amount of bass and salt water fishing.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Decrease

I want to be a HOG and catch limits every trip.

Post Thanks / Like

My question is what do you mean by "growth"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiewisdom View Post
    My question is what do you mean by "growth"?
    The number of crappie fisherman on your home lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in northern INDIANA where I fish, there are many lakes that I might fish on any given weekend and there may be many fisherman on the lakes. We all share info etc and most guys fish for whatever is biting. But when the bass guys are having their contests, you may as well forget fishing or using the boat ramps. So if more people want to learn crappie fishing...great. But I just don't want to have to deal with more organized tournaments on the lakes, no matter what the species of fish. So if growing the sport means tournaments etc, I say no.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast