Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On my way to test new Berkley NanoFil line.

Post Thanks / Like

Default On my way to test new Berkley NanoFil line.

On my way to test out a spool of 4# test NanoFil line. Quite excited about it and am going to see if it will live up to the hype...double casting distance and so on. Since I throw mostly 1/64th and 1/32nd this should be easy to see if I get a significant increase in casting distance. Will report back late tonight.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

hmm ok

Berkley® NanoFil | Berkley Fishing

This line sounds great! Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the report, if its as good as they say it is you should love it

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great. Not a mono and not a braid. Hope it checks out.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I finally made it home from fishing. I started out below the dam at Pickwick and finished up at my Bluegill lake at Laurel Hill as it is on the way home. I caught over 200 fish today. Only two of those were Crappie but they were big slabs. The largemouth were stacked up at Pickwick and the biggest one I landed was 4 pounds. I had some pigs on and could do nothing with them. I also caught Bluegill..Sandbass...White Bass. At Laurel Hill I found that the Gills had finally moved up and I spent the whole evening until dark catching those huge Gills. The 4# test NanoFil definitely played a part in the numbers caught. For those of you who fish braid it has that kind of sensitivity. If you are using a sensitive rod..I used the ESP 7 foot and the 6' 8" Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner....when a fish hits it.....and I mean a hit and not a slow take like when a Crappie or Bluegill is swimming with your jig and you feel pressure but a real hit, you think someone has slapped you upside the head. The line goes on the spool very well and I did not notice in line digging into it's self. Casting distance is greatly increased. I was throwing a 1/64th Trout Magnet farther with the 4# test NanoFil than with 2# test P Line CX Premium. I can only imagine how far I will be able to throw the Trout Magnet with 2# test NanoFil. I use the Fish'n Fool knot and had no problems at all with that knot. Most of my fishing however was done with a 2 foot leader of Yozuri Hybrid 4# test. The line does disappear a little underwater but it will require more testing to see if this line color affects catching fish. The water at Pickwick was clear and at Laurel Hill was stained. Another reason I left the leader on, when I change lures I am not cutting away part of my 20 dollar spool. The line can be snipped with clippers just like mono...but no it is not like mono. The wind was blowing around 15 MPH at Pickwick and I always had a bow in my line but I felt every little tap and this line acts nothing like braid in the wind. For those that know of the ESP rod it has a very small tip. Not once did I get the line wrapped around it. I went over to my Crappie hole at Pickwick...even though the Crappie are not there right now....just to see how far I could cast when I start my Crappie fishing again in October. This line will change everything for me come October. I put the 1/32 Crappie Magnet on and man I can throw just about anywhere I want to and as I said when I get the 2# test I will have to throttle down using a 1/32. Time will only tell how this line holds up. I did not notice any fraying. When I first started out this morning I was a little disappointed as I was expecting these mile long casts and that did not happen at first. I paused about using Kevin VanDam's line conditioner but after I sprayed it the cast really starting getting long. I know I am all over the place here but it was a long day on the water and also the best one this Spring. I plan on using this line with the 7 foot ESP rod to bump the bottom for Trout on the Caney Fork River later in the week and I can already tell you this line will make a huge difference. Sometimes when we are bumping the bottom we will change up and throw CD 7's to the bank for the big Browns. With this line I could throw a CD 7 about 40 yards. I am sure I have left a lot out. If you have any specific questions just ask and I will answer as best I can. This is expensive line and I hope it holds up.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you buy the line at?

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the line appear to dig in to the tip rod eye like braid?
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RayP View Post
    Where did you buy the line at?
    My nephew was up in Indiana for the weekend and stopped in at Gander Mountain and bought me a spool of it. Cabelas now has it in stock and ready to ship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    Does the line appear to dig in to the tip rod eye like braid?
    No this has not happened so far. I am sure you are probably more aware than me that some rod guides cannot hold up under braid. While this is not "technically" braid it is made from the same stuff. It is just bonded together with a different method. The ESP rod that I use has ceramic guides at the tip and for the stripper guide. The other guides are steel with chrome plating. Everything I have read says that using braid on those chrome guides is a big mistake. For me the advantage for using this line will be..Trout fishing one needs a no stretch line to get a good hook set in current....the much increased casting distance when I am Crappie fishing with a 1/64th or 1/32nd ounce jig. Casting distance means more fish and for throwing light jigs this will give those of us who cast from the bank a big advantage over mono. It will also give someone an advantage if you are fishing for Shellcrackers or Bluegill on a bed and don't want to approach too close. I am really excited about the line and can't wait to get back on the water again to use it some more. But it is costly. Last night I rewound about 20 yards of the line back onto the spool it came off of to clean the scum off the line and wind back onto the reel. I would do this with mono but with mono it could be tricky and sometimes might twist on you if you rewound to the spool wrong. This line will not twist....at least it has not done so yet and shows no sign that it will.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast