PDA

View Full Version : How To Grow The Sport?

Roper Outdoors
06-20-2011, 06:34 AM
You hear this statement a lot in the bass industry “Growing the sport”. I must say that is a great question, how do we grow the sport? Now, I’m not talking about the sport of bass fishing, I’m talking about How Do We Grow The Sport of Crappie Fishing? I travel and speak at different fishing and outdoor shows during the year and I have found out that not that many people know what goes on in the crappie industry. For example, when I talk to people about crappie tournaments they make the statement “I didn’t know they had crappie tournaments” or “Crappie really get that big, I only caught pansize crappie”. As a professional angler I think about this everyday. How can I, how can you, how can we help grow awareness of crappie fishing? Wait, I’m not just talking about making tournament payouts bigger (even though I wouldn’t mind that) more than that. We need ideas, we need energy, and we need YOU!

Sincerely,

Jarad Roper
Team Roper Outdoors, LLC

dkb23
06-21-2011, 03:35 AM
That is kind of the reason that I love the sport so much. It is simple.....fairly inexpensive....you can catch crappie just about everywhere.....you don't have to have a $50,000 bass boat to fish for them......and you don't have to worry about large crowds. Not to mention the fact that they taste great and you don't have to feel like a train ran over you at the end of the day as you do when you come off the lake after bass fishing all day. Crappie fishermen are simple people and I believe that this is why the sport stays as it is. Not sure how to help with this one?

speckfinder
06-21-2011, 03:50 AM
This website is a big help.

Splitshot82
06-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Not trying to be controversial or ugly about this, but I'm not sure I want to "grow" crappie fishing into what bass fishing is. Fishing is my hobbie not my livelihood so I understand I may be looking at this from a different angle.

I prefer to just pass along what little I know to the next generation and possibly introduce friends and family to a great pastime. I have a tough time understanding how recruiting a mass of additional fishermen would benefit me, crappie populations, or our lakes and rivers. Don't get me wrong, I've got no problems with new folks becoming acquainted with crappie fishing. I just wouldn't want to be a part of a marketing campaign.

filletfetish
06-21-2011, 06:47 AM
This website is a big help.

No doubt!!!

Splitshot, you have some interesting points. Maybe that's because they are worth eating, not just something to toss back in. In some places around the country, a little more pressure would do them some good. I also don't know that you're going to recruit the masses, so to speak. Sure, you may bring some new fishermen onboard, but most are still going to be people that love to fish. I know many a bass fisherman than have been converted.

I'm not going off topic, but you can relate it to religion. Go out and be a witness. When you talk to people, speak only crappie. The more people you talk to, the more people you'll start seeing out on the lake on Sunday mornings. For those that have been touched, but not quite convinced, have TV shows on Sunday mornings. Show and talk about how great the crappie is. You might stay away from jumping up and down and screaming each time you get one in the boat, that could wear someone out in a hurry...could you imagine those 200+ catch days!?!

The above statements may be a little off, but it's not too far from the truth. The LMB has been put on the pedestal, now ask yourself why that is. They are not the biggest, nor the best "fight" (pound for pound). The only real advantage I see is that the LMB can be caught in far more places than a crappie.

Guys are trying to do the same thing with walleye and catfish. If you could lip a catfish like a bass, and didn't get all that slime on your line, I think it would be the most chased fish. The only thing keeping walleye popularity down is access to them.

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
06-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Not trying to be controversial or ugly about this, but I'm not sure I want to "grow" crappie fishing into what bass fishing is. Fishing is my hobbie not my livelihood so I understand I may be looking at this from a different angle.

I prefer to just pass along what little I know to the next generation and possibly introduce friends and family to a great pastime. I have a tough time understanding how recruiting a mass of additional fishermen would benefit me, crappie populations, or our lakes and rivers. Don't get me wrong, I've got no problems with new folks becoming acquainted with crappie fishing. I just wouldn't want to be a part of a marketing campaign.

I read the original post yesterday afternoon, thought about it and I'm in agreement with you. I see crappie fishing as a means of relaxation, an opportunity to spend quality time with my husband, a way to introduce my nieces and nephews to a fun activity that provides a lifetime of enjoyment. We're lucky to live in close proximity to two great crappie fisheries, both of which get plenty of fishing pressure every spring from locals and out-of-towners alike. That's why my favorite time to crappie fish is in the fall.

deathb4disco
06-21-2011, 09:14 AM
It is simple.....fairly inexpensive....you don't have to have a $50,000 bass boat to fish for them......

... which pretty much guarantees it will never be as big as bass fishing (which is fine with me.)

gabowman
06-21-2011, 09:35 AM
I, for one, would NOT want to see the same pressure on the crappie in lakes I fish like the bassers put on the bass. Most of the fishing pressure for crappie here is mainly during the spawn but with the bass guys it's year round, tournaments practically every weekend. I guess it sounds a little hoggish, but I like having the lake to myself to crappie fish anywhere I want without pressure on the fish 10 mos. out of the year.:o

huntinslabs
06-21-2011, 10:41 AM
I have to agree with everyone so far. I like it simple as fishin a minner under a cork or as technical as longlineing and pullin cranks. Don't want it to become a hurry hurry gotta hurry up sport. I even see some trends going towards high dollar tackle and thats O.K. if that is what ya want but also can be done with a length of bamboo as well. And I think that is what draws most to the sport. You can keep it simple or go technical and still be productive and have fun. This website is a huge plus for the sport as well as the slabfests that draw all makes and models to enjoy a day on the water with good people and good food, without the pressure associated with tournaments.

Locator79
06-21-2011, 11:13 AM
A lot of great points made here, and the one that sticks out to me the most is gabowman mentioning the pressure on the fish. The lakes here in my area get POUNDED, almost every day, and crowded enought to send you home on the weekend, 90% bass fishing. I think I like my crappie fishing just the way it is.

deathb4disco
06-21-2011, 11:50 AM
I fish for carp a lot and am a member of a carp forum. There was a thread once with a title something like "how popular do you want carp fishing to be". The consensus seemed to be that people did not want it to get anywhere near as popular as bass fishing. (There's very little chance of that happening.) I remember one guy making the comment that he wanted carp fishing to be similar in popularity to catfishing. That would insure that carp tackle would be easy to come by, but you wouldn't have a tremendous amount of pressure on the fish.

I think that's where crappie fishing is right now. Crappie tackle is plentiful and relatively cheap. There's this website, two crappie mags that I know of plus various regional and national crappie tournaments. On top of that, we have great lakes loaded with crappie, and they don't get pounded like bass do. Enjoy it while it lasts. :)

countykayaker
06-21-2011, 01:00 PM
I agree with you all. Where I live Crappie fishing is not a fish that most people seek out and most people I know have never ate one. On the other hand if you try to Bass fish up this way you will have boats all around you competing for the same fish! That is why I love crappie fishing. I can go out anytime and be the only one out there fishing in an area of the lake full of crappie. And it is not that people don't know that they are there but that they would rather catch Bass or perch which is fine by me!

CRAPPIEHUNTER68
06-21-2011, 01:55 PM
This is very interesting. Nobody here cares for growth in the crappie fishing sport or crappie tournaments. I seen this on another crappie site and the answers were much different. I guess I like like competitive fishing more than most so I would like to see a growth in that side. I would like to see crappie fishing shows on TV in a big way and pro's that made a living crappie fishing. I think that draws more youth to a sport. You see I have for a while been watching to see young fishermen out on the lake crappie fishing and where I fish they are just not there. Oh well I guess we all have different views.

Roper Outdoors
06-21-2011, 02:08 PM
This is very interesting. Nobody here cares for growth in the crappie fishing sport or crappie tournaments. I seen this on another crappie site and the answers were much different. I guess I like like competitive fishing more than most so I would like to see a growth in that side. I would like to see crappie fishing shows on TV in a big way and pro's that made a living crappie fishing. I think that draws more youth to a sport. You see I have for a while been watching to see young fishermen out on the lake crappie fishing and where I fish they are just not there. Oh well I guess we all have different views.
CrappieHunter I'm with you. I would like to see some of the same things that you said. I also see what a lot of you guys are saying. The big thing is that we all don't want to see crappie fishing get abused or taken advantage of. I most say, one thing I noticed about a crappie fisherman and bass fisherman is this, bass guys seem to be more cocky or arrogant. Now all of them are not, but a good handful are. I can count on my hand how many crappie guys have that attitude. THAT'S A GOOD THING!

Locator79
06-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I speak for myself, but I will not ever make a income fishing as most of us won't. I work and take care of a family, and my time on the water is to relax and get away from it all, kinda like my therapy. Years ago before I found the passion for crappie fishing, I had a few buddies I fished bass tournaments with, and it ended up being more work than fun, so much, that I gave it up all together, and don't miss any of it, for a lot of differnt reasons. The more popluar something gets, the commercialized it gets, the more expensive it gets, etc, and that takes everything away from the sport, and to me, thats not what its about. I see nothing wrong with tournaments, and dvr every crappie fishing show that comes on TV. I like to take my aluminum boat out, and fill the cooler with panfish, its simple, and it keeps me sane.

Wannabe...
06-21-2011, 02:54 PM
I too like competitive fishing. Just wish I was a little more competitive is all. :)

All this is interesting. Reminds me of the time when my Dad was asked to help form the local chapter of the National Turkey Hunting Federation. He told the guy - why the heck would I want to do that? That would mean more people out there shooting my turkeys. LOL.

Anyway, if you really, really want to grow the sport the answer is simple. Take a kid fishing. When you get home, invite another one. And another one and another. Some of them will hate it. Some will really like it and take it up on their own. Some of them will fall in love with it and become hard core, year round Crappie fisherman. Maybe 1 out of 20 of those will become competitive Crappie tournament fishermen. No worries from me though....I'm taking kids whenever I can, but there's no real danger I'll teach any of them well enought to take Ray's money anytime soon.

Wannabe...

Locator79
06-21-2011, 03:07 PM
I too like competitive fishing. Just wish I was a little more competitive is all. :)

All this is interesting. Reminds me of the time when my Dad was asked to help form the local chapter of the National Turkey Hunting Federation. He told the guy - why the heck would I want to do that? That would mean more people out there shooting my turkeys. LOL.

Anyway, if you really, really want to grow the sport the answer is simple. Take a kid fishing. When you get home, invite another one. And another one and another. Some of them will hate it. Some will really like it and take it up on their own. Some of them will fall in love with it and become hard core, year round Crappie fisherman. Maybe 1 out of 20 of those will become competitive Crappie tournament fishermen. No worries from me though....I'm taking kids whenever I can, but there's no real danger I'll teach any of them well enought to take Ray's money anytime soon.

Wannabe...

Amen, introduce a kid to the sport!!!!

skiptomylu
06-21-2011, 03:08 PM
I think it's already growing faster than we would like or maybe I should say one of these days we will look back and say it just grew too fast. I know every spring when I get out see more and more people every year on this lake. Even though it's a very big lake, the banks and best spots get hammered. I saw the same thing with Bass Fishing when I was young and Bass Masters didn't exist. All the clubs didn't exist and it was different and a lot more fun then.

I can remember when I first learned about Bass fishing at night and this was before all the clubs and all as myself and a few friend has this huge lake all to our selves for probably 5 years and had a great time. However then the clubs came in and then they learned about night fishing and it has not stopped changing since. It was not much before that when the tournament started and just grew and grew. Now there are so many bass boats running around it's like a circus.

I probably will not be here when that happens to crappie fishing, but I have no doubt that is will happen and lots will be sorry and lots making money fishing for the crappie. I have no interest in fishing tournaments or competively, just want to have something pull my line and have room to breath and not have 10 boats on every 100 yards of bank in the spring.

Skip

Splitshot82
06-21-2011, 05:20 PM

Good points by a lot of folks.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against tourneys, guides, or pros. I wish I was good enough that I felt like I had any business fishing in a tourney. I plan to give it a try one of these years. My point is just that it may be tough to get a groundswell movement among recreational fishermen such as myself.

A good point was made earlier that a lot of bass are released. Crappie are far more likely to encounter a skillet around my house. Creel limits for crappie are always higher and there is genuine concern about what overpopularizing (not sure that's a word) could mean for crappie populations. I think limits and other regs would have to be looked at in a different light if crappie were half as popular as bass. At that point crappie fishing as we know it now would begin to change. Better or worse? I dunno. Guess that depends on your point of view.

shipahoy41
06-21-2011, 06:04 PM
You grow interest in Crappie fishing by teaching some youth or someone else what you know. It has to be fun as well as productive. Fishing is fun and can be guaranteed. Catching the fish is a little harder.

Bob # 1
06-21-2011, 06:34 PM
This is a very interesting thread and lot of good input and thought.
Myself believe that the sport is growing, just look at the "NEW" members here on this forum, not counting all the other forums in the country
that have a crappie section.

As one mentioned "take a kid fishing" that will grow the sport.Thumbs Up

Crappie 1
06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
It's different here in the North than in the South. We have some lakes that are really good for Crappie, but we have a lot of lakes that it's hard to even catch one. I don't see it ever becoming a "big thing" up here. I just started seriously fishing for Crappie this year, and I have to tell you, I haven't done that good. I have bought Jigs, tails, spinners, lights etc. and they still elude me. I'm learning, and most of it I've learned here on this site. Bass & Walleye are the big draws up here in Michigan, and to be honest, I'd just as soon keep it that way. I've been in Walleye Tourney's, and seen many Bass Tourney's, it's a zoo, big boats, big money, big sponsers. How many of us would ever make that? It's not for me. Thanks..

skeetbum
06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
After reading all the posts I find several points that I agree with. First being the attitude of the majority of basser's to crappie guys. I can tell some stories about that. Crappie guys and girls are a more genuine breed of folks, ones that I'm proud to be a part of and associate with. Like Wannabe, I just don't have enough competitive drive to be a good tourney fisherman. 4 boats around a brushpile, cutting up back and forth, and maybe not catching all the fish I could have if no one else was there doesn't upset me. Helping others learn the sport and sharing a limit with those who can't get out anymore is also part of the plan. Folks in this sport would stop to help someone on the way to a weigh in because it's the right thing to do, and not blow by apologizing that they had something else to do first. Little in life is better than the look on a child's face, or the excitement in their voice when the fish start working them over. These things and many more keep me loading the boat to chase crappie when I get time to go.
As far as growing the sport, I don't think there's any one thing that can get that done but this;Remember whenever you meet someone and talk fishing that you are being judged. That may sound odd, but if you think of it, it's very true. We are ambassadors to this sport, it's representatives, and people look to us when they know little or nothing of the sport. A first impression counts for just as much here as anywhere else. Taking a child or a neighbor, or even better yet, a Vet who has earned more than we could ever repay is something that will help grow this sport not necessarily in numbers, but in the way it needs to be grown, with quality people that have a bigger agenda than winning a tournament. Like Vonna said, it sure is nice to go out and have the lake to yourself and enjoy things as they are. Nice to watch the world come to life in the morning. I enjoy this sport as it is, and I know it will change and grow as time goes by, and if we all keep our collective heads screwed on somewhat straight the sport will do just fine.

knobcreek
06-21-2011, 07:53 PM
I am new to Crappie fishing. Really just "discovered" it the last 2 seasons, and in particular this year after I caught a 2 lber. Completely changed my whole mind-set on Crappie fishing. No one else I know Crappie fishes. Its mostly fresh water bass, or Stripers when they're here in season (I live 10 minutes from the ocean). I happen to live near two small lakes/big ponds that have excellent Crappie fishing. For the previous few years I completely overlooked them and just fished for bass. And that is exactly what everyone else around here does. And that is one of the draws for me, less pressure, and just fishing for something different than most fishermen. As someone else mentioned, I like the simplicity of it too. I am very content if the level of interest stays exactly where it is now (little around here). I feel as though I discovered gold and know one else knows about it, lol. If I was in the fishing industry, I might feel different, but for me, I'm enjoying it as it is.

Roper Outdoors
06-21-2011, 10:03 PM
We are ambassadors to this sport, it's representatives, and people look to us when they know little or nothing of the sport. A first impression counts for just as much here as anywhere else. Taking a child or a neighbor, or even better yet, a Vet who has earned more than we could ever repay is something that will help grow this sport not necessarily in numbers, but in the way it needs to be grown, with quality people that have a bigger agenda than winning a tournament.

I love it. That is the whole idea. We are to be ambassadors of the sport even if we don't get our name in lights. You know they have bass tournaments just for Veterans, why not put on a crappie tournament just for Vets. You know food, fun and fellowship can change somebody's life.

Crappie 1
06-22-2011, 06:12 AM
I love it. That is the whole idea. We are to be ambassadors of the sport even if we don't get our name in lights. You know they have bass tournaments just for Veterans, why not put on a crappie tournament just for Vets. You know food, fun and fellowship can change somebody's life.They just had a thing for Vets. here in Mich. it was called Walleye's for Warriors. Guys with Walleye boats took the Vets on Saginaw Bay Walleye fishing, it was a great time with a great turn out. You can find it on Michigan Sportsman .com They got a load of fish too.

rockmike
06-22-2011, 06:24 AM
Don't see any need to "grow" the sport. Just soon it became a well kept secret.

MePreach
06-22-2011, 06:54 AM
I believe we are a different breed of folks! I have fished the bass tournaments and won some and now I just can't get the crappie fishin out of my blood! To see my line twitch or feeling that distinctive thump while shootin a dock or even that 14' rod bend in my Hi-tek holder while trolling just sets me on fire! Its better to me than an 8lb bass blowing up on a topwater plug...I cant even say why! I go crappie fishing to relax but my wife says I get in my crappie zone and turn into a different person! As for as growing the sport I am not sure it will or needs to grow? It gets pretty crowded here in Bama but I will say its also getting harder to get kids and adults out in the outdoors from my experience. They are either too busy or dont like cold, heat, etc. I have noticed in the past few years when taking folks that there is alot more complaining..so now I have a rule made for while fishin in my boat "absolutely NO whining"

crappiewisdom
06-22-2011, 07:09 AM
I would hate to see crappie fishing turned into what they've done with bass fishing. When I get to a lake and see that a bass tournament is going on, I go to a different lake so I don't have to deal with all of the commotion and rudeness. I fish to relax and get away from it all. Just my two cents worth.

gatoloco
06-22-2011, 11:18 AM
for over 20 yars I tourney fished for bass and loved it. I quit 2 years ago when I stopped and realized that attitudes changed and the fellowship, tact and professionalism went out the window and it is all about the money. You go to a tourney and see folks cuss you out because you are in their spot. Boats driven wrecklessly to get to the next spot.

I go to a crappie tourney and see some of that but not the level as Bass tourneys. I see more communicaton and the willingness to help a person out. I also see more of an open attitude to new people. The welcoming of a new face and if you need help or not comfortable with the lake folks will suggest info to help the person out.

I would love to see the sport grow but,like alot of pro's I just dont want it to forget it's roots and as said before turned into what they've done with bass fishing. I look at the big bass tourneys and the pay outs and see what the large crappie tourneys pay and gat amazed.

Chadku
06-22-2011, 11:45 AM
You hear this statement a lot in the bass industry “Growing the sport”. I must say that is a great question, how do we grow the sport? Now, I’m not talking about the sport of bass fishing, I’m talking about How Do We Grow The Sport of Crappie Fishing? I travel and speak at different fishing and outdoor shows during the year and I have found out that not that many people know what goes on in the crappie industry. For example, when I talk to people about crappie tournaments they make the statement “I didn’t know they had crappie tournaments” or “Crappie really get that big, I only caught pansize crappie”. As a professional angler I think about this everyday. How can I, how can you, how can we help grow awareness of crappie fishing? Wait, I’m not just talking about making tournament payouts bigger (even though I wouldn’t mind that) more than that. We need ideas, we need energy, and we need YOU!

Sincerely,

Jarad Roper
Team Roper Outdoors, LLC

Jared i think this is a great question. I think this thread shows a lot how selfish crappie fisherman can be. Everyone wants their lake to themselves. We are too worried about how many fish we can put in the freezer. Growing the sport is the only way to keep great sites like this and our magazines going.

Sure, taking a kid fishing is the best thing you can do but also putting excitement in the sport where another mom or dad wants to learn will then in turn into them taking their kids and grand kids.

I know I am going to ruffle some feathers here and I am not trying to do that but if you do not want to grow the sport then i think that is selfish.

I live in KS and our state board has recently taken to this selfish attitude in my opinion. Complaining about everyone and everything. I think the special breed of people crappie fishermen being more polite is not where it was years ago. 2 yrs ago it was nothing like it is now and has turned some people off. I have seen other boards die because of this. Hopefully it will turn around.

I have fished both bass and crappie tournaments. I know there are bad apples in both, but a majority of both are good polite fishermen.

rockmike
06-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Well, bubba, I think I take exception to being called selfish because I happen to disagree with this post. And, I think Crappie.com will do OK whether the sport "grows" or not.
Jared i think this is a great question. I think this thread shows a lot how selfish crappie fisherman can be. Everyone wants their lake to themselves. We are too worried about how many fish we can put in the freezer. Growing the sport is the only way to keep great sites like this and our magazines going.

Sure, taking a kid fishing is the best thing you can do but also putting excitement in the sport where another mom or dad wants to learn will then in turn into them taking their kids and grand kids.

I know I am going to ruffle some feathers here and I am not trying to do that but if you do not want to grow the sport then i think that is selfish.

I live in KS and our state board has recently taken to this selfish attitude in my opinion. Complaining about everyone and everything. I think the special breed of people crappie fishermen being more polite is not where it was years ago. 2 yrs ago it was nothing like it is now and has turned some people off. I have seen other boards die because of this. Hopefully it will turn around.

I have fished both bass and crappie tournaments. I know there are bad apples in both, but a majority of both are good polite fishermen.

deathb4disco
06-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Why don't we define what we mean by "growth"? See here:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/181051-growth-sport.html

Chadku
06-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Well, bubba, I think I take exception to being called selfish because I happen to disagree with this post. And, I think Crappie.com will do OK whether the sport "grows" or not.

So you aren't going to take a kid fishing or a buddy with you that doesn't fish?

Splitshot82
06-22-2011, 12:37 PM

I disagree but I respect your opinion. The important thing to remember is that different folks fish for different reasons. It's no more selfish for a local guy to want to preserve his home lake the way it is now than for a pro to want to increase the next tourney pot or the guide who wants to book a few more days.

I may be wrong but my impression is that the sport is growing on it's own merits. Because of the reasons that I personally fish - I see no reason to fan the flames.

Splitshot82
06-22-2011, 12:42 PM
So you aren't going to take a kid fishing or a buddy with you that doesn't fish?

I take my nephew a lot. I've taken 3 newbys with me just this year. It's not about that.

rockmike
06-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't think that was what was meant by growth.

Chadku
06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
I disagree but I respect your opinion. The important thing to remember is that different folks fish for different reasons. It's no more selfish for a local guy to want to preserve his home lake the way it is now than for a pro to want to increase the next tourney pot or the guide who wants to book a few more days.

I may be wrong but my impression is that the sport is growing on it's own merits. Because of the reasons that I personally fish - I see no reason to fan the flames.

I agree with that. I just can't believe that there are people that do not want to grow crappie fishing by getting new kids or non fishing adults on board. For example If you were new and wanted to start crappie fishing and you came here and saw that you were more less not welcome because we didn't want any new fisherman? I have never seen CDC act that way.

Maybe my view of growth is different. I would like there to be a tv show dedicated to crappie, more nationally known fisherman recognized etc to give kids more to look up to. I don't want the 50k boat and million dollar purse tournaments all the time either but growth is good on some level.

crappiewisdom
06-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I took the meaning of "growing the sport" as meaning more tournaments etc. Maybe I misunderstood. I have no problem with more guys, gals and kids having fun fishing for crappie, even on my favorite lakes. I have shared my favorite lakes and spots with many. I just don't want to see crappie fishing becoming more "commercialized" and competitive as we've seen in bass fishing.

Roper Outdoors
06-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Okay guys, I’ll share some of my ideas of what I mean about growing the sport. In the bass world they have the attention of major companies. From clothing companies to sport drinks. When talking with those type of companies about (yes) sponsorship, I get a feeling that we are not worth the attention, time, money or advertisement. A lot of them don’t know anything about crappie tournaments or how big crappie can get. So that’s one thing I’m talking about. There is also a lot of media outlets in the bass world. They have different magazines, tv shows, online live events, etc. We crappie fishermen don’t have that yet. Yes we have this website and many more, which is good. I just believe it can grow some more. Lastly in the bass world there is a lot of energy, graphics, new and innovative was of doing things. That’s some of what I’m talking about growing the sport.

CrappiePappy
06-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Roper ... I helped run a tourney series for almost 5yrs (Fall 2000 - Spring 2005) ... two tournies per year (Spring/Fall) on Watts Bar Lake, in E TN. There was no $$ involved (no entry fee & no payout $$) in the tournament. Prizes were solicited & packaged per placement of the teams. Most of the time we had a prize pkg for most every team. Many prizes were from companies like BnM, and a lot of our member jig makers/tiers. The donated prizes certainly got some "goodies" into the hands of Crappie anglers, that might not otherwise have purchased them or even known about them ... and I'm sure there were some newby's that got their feet wet in the sport, at these tournies. I only agreed to help run, & participate in these tournies, if there was NO MONEY involved (no pay in/pay out money). My reasoning was from having experienced fishing in Bass tournaments, and knowing how the almighty dollar can make some people act.
That being said .... Bass fishing IS more "high powered" than Crappie fishing. Crappie fishing, overall (IMHO), is more of a slow to moderate paced type of fishing. Just the types of methods we Crappie anglers use, are more & varied from the typical tournament Bass angler. And the rules on what equipment can be used, and what methods can be used ... leaves the Bass anglers with little choice but to run & gun. They can't troll, or use live bait, and in some instances they can't use rods over a certain length. This, again, in turn causes them to have to depend on getting to as many "certain spots" (before someone else does). Their payouts are bigger, because their entry fees are bigger .... they have media coverage because they're "high powered" events (all the runnin' & gunnin', the "drama", and the speed at which they fish) ... they have sponsorships/advertisement because most of the anglers probably couldn't pay to play, without them. (there's even a few "Pro wantabe" Bassers that went bankrupt from tournament fishing)
Crappie fishing, even in tournaments, isn't usually that "high powered" (fast) ... as our methods of fishing usually demand a "go slow" demeanor. The fish, itself, is what demands the speed in which we fish for them.

The two fish species may be "related" (in the same 'family'), and even some of the methods & equipment used may be similar ... but, beyond that, they're almost two different sports. IMHO - my analogy of the speed of Crappie fishing would be the "baseball/chess" game ... while Bass fishing is more like "football/soccer/polo" Doh Rofl

... cp :cool:

WhiteMeat
06-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Jarad, growing the sport of tournament crappie fishing is all about numbers; a larger audience means more sponsor opportunities. And (short of a multi-million-dollar mass media campaign) getting those number will take a whole lot of grassroots marketing by guys like yourself who love the sport and maybe can 'make the sell'. You've got to find a way to turn the average fisherman into a tournament crappie fisherman. What are the selling points of tournament crappie fishing? How do you overcome the common objections? And how do you close the sell?

To me that's a really tough sell. Most crappie fishermen fish to relax and to eat, and we aren't going to give that up for the sake of competition. Most non-tournament crappie fisherman don't even want to share the water with you. And in most areas where crappie are abundant, the market is already saturated by tournament bass fishing (many of which include so many ********, that tournament fishing in general has taken a huge black eye).

I would wish you good luck in your endeavor, but I really don't want to share the water with you guys. :P So God bless and happy fishing.

BigMack
06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
That's what we at CAT (Crappie Anglers of Texas) have done.
only $25 a head for a tourney and of coarse haveing to join the club to keep us all legal and safe for another $20.
We have made a whole new way for folks to be part of a tourney without much hassle and have a great time to boot.
we got CrappieMasters attention and we're having a tourney with them this weekend on Texoma.

The boys in Central Texas have started one for themselves now and Steve has another one in East Texas that's doing well.

The more culbs the better in your area.

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
06-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Okay guys, I’ll share some of my ideas of what I mean about growing the sport. In the bass world they have the attention of major companies. From clothing companies to sport drinks. When talking with those type of companies about (yes) sponsorship, I get a feeling that we are not worth the attention, time, money or advertisement. A lot of them don’t know anything about crappie tournaments or how big crappie can get. So that’s one thing I’m talking about. There is also a lot of media outlets in the bass world. They have different magazines, tv shows, online live events, etc. We crappie fishermen don’t have that yet. Yes we have this website and many more, which is good. I just believe it can grow some more. Lastly in the bass world there is a lot of energy, graphics, new and innovative was of doing things. That’s some of what I’m talking about growing the sport.

It's all about perception, isn't it? What you identify as energy and new and innovative ways of doing things, I see as marketing tactics to bring in more revenue. I may have to look a little further than BP or Cabelas, but I find plenty of sources for crappie merchandise, from window decals to clothing to tackle to magazines/articles and books as well as boats specifically geared to crappie fishing. I feel that I make an effort to "grow the sport" by introducing family and friends, both young and old, to crappie fishing, by joining our local crappie club and participating as well as promoting our local events, by attending the various get-togethers in surrounding states and having a great time meeting fellow fishermen and their families and certainly by participating on this website as well as others. For me personally, the tournament aspect is not that significant. Of course, I'm not trying to make a living off of crappie fishing/guiding or tournaments. I'll take the pure enjoyment of crappie fishing over the runnin' and gunnin' stress of bass fishing any day.

double trouble
06-23-2011, 07:13 PM
I agree, I am not sure I would like the sport to grow very fast, we too like for a means of being outdoors together, and introducing others to it. If I were to place emphasis it would be on the youth, and disabled. The bass fisherman do a freedom fighters tournament on Truman lake in the fall, I would like to see Crappiemasters or Crappie.com organize something like that. For disabled vets it might be easier for them to crappie fish vs bass fish, and it would be getting some great people out on the lake, and giving them a day that they can enjoy. Just my 2 cents

Splitshot82
06-25-2011, 07:32 AM
It's all about perception, isn't it? What you identify as energy and new and innovative ways of doing things, I see as marketing tactics to bring in more revenue. I may have to look a little further than BP or Cabelas, but I find plenty of sources for crappie merchandise, from window decals to clothing to tackle to magazines/articles and books as well as boats specifically geared to crappie fishing. I feel that I make an effort to "grow the sport" by introducing family and friends, both young and old, to crappie fishing, by joining our local crappie club and participating as well as promoting our local events, by attending the various get-togethers in surrounding states and having a great time meeting fellow fishermen and their families and certainly by participating on this website as well as others. For me personally, the tournament aspect is not that significant. Of course, I'm not trying to make a living off of crappie fishing/guiding or tournaments. I'll take the pure enjoyment of crappie fishing over the runnin' and gunnin' stress of bass fishing any day.

Amen. Spot on.

skeetbum
06-26-2011, 07:01 AM

Well said, Vonna.

Overkill
06-26-2011, 02:27 PM
The Sporsman Channel on Father's Day aired "One More Cast with Shaw Grigsby" summing up what crappie fishing really is all about. Shaw took his three year old grandson crappie fishing. He demonstrated exactly how and why this sport should be grown, one kid at a time.

I don't think it will ever be what bass fishing has become. When a float rises just a little indicating it's time to sweep the rod to set the hook is compared to a two-handed backwards baseball bat swing when a 4 lb. bass whacks a topwater, it's kinda like watching paint dry to the uninitiated. It may be selfish of me, but I like it that way, and really don't want to see the kind of growth bass fishing has experienced.

I used to be a big NASCAR fan. The day that sport changed forever (for the worse imho) was Richard Petty's last race. It was also Jeff Gordon's first race, and from that day forward, the race for the dollar became more important than the race itself. Sure would hate to see that happen to this wonderful sport that I have been a part of for more decades than I want to admit to. I'll gladly share it with my grandkids (when I finally get some) or the neighbor's kids, or anyone that wants to wet a line, but I'm not sure I want to see it become the competitive money generating commercialized industry that bass fishing or NASCAR has become.

Crappie Reaper
06-27-2011, 06:28 AM

I concur.

Kman
06-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I dont think we ever really have to fear it becoming like bass fishing, no matter what we do. The reason is money.
1.You dont need a $50K boat, some use one, but you dont need it to even compete really
2. the most expensive rod you buy is about $75 and most dont use that. Compared to $400 bass poles
3. a $5 reel will work, opposed to a $400 shimano for bass
4. Most bass fishermen have THOUSANDS of $$ in tackle, a crappie tacklebox fully stocked is $100, including the box itself!

There isnt any room for sponsorships. Minn kota, BNM, motorguide, humminbird, lowrance, they already do about all they can do for the return on their dollar.
Without the huge sponsorships, it aint goin nowhere.
my 2cents
BTW, IM GLAD!!!