Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frog Gigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frog Gigging

I was visiting with a friend after church today and the subject of frog gigging came up and all of a sudden I have a hankering (redneck term for strong desire) to take my boys frog gigging. A night of frog gigging and jug fishing for catfish ought to be one heck of a night. Since it's been years since I have been gigging and I thought I would check to see if any of you gig frogs and if so, would you mind sharing some tips and the ideal gig, pole, and light.
    Willie

Post Thanks / Like

Hadn't done it in 20 years myself, but sure brings back memories of some good fried food. Good luck!
    Eric W.

Post Thanks / Like

We go gigging every June when the season opens here in KY. I moved over to the LED headlamps last year and wonder why it took me so long to do so, much brighter and whiter light to spot their bellies in the dark. I use a 12' gig handle made of tubular aluminum for the light weight and like the extra length for the thick stuff. I also prefer the bigger fish gigs to the smaller frog gigs that they sell in stores locally because I don't have as many fall off and the wider area makes it nice for those of us who aren't always on our top game in the middle of the night.

Post Thanks / Like

i frogged with an old timer and all he would use was a carbide light and he was right. it would make their eyes shine like a new penny. he would gig them but when he wasn't along we would catch them by hand. most people use the hand held 12 volt spot lights.

Post Thanks / Like

This made me think of my Grandpa right away. I can still see him with that carbide light clamped on. He was one heck of a "gigger" and nobody fried them up better than him. I was never brave enough to go with him - he gigged snakes along with the frogs - they all got tossed in the boat.
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

This might be something new I can do with my kayak. Ill just have to learn how to use a gig instead of hand grabbing like my dad taught me.
    Mike Barnett

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Too snakey for me.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

That brings back some good memories! My Mom sure could fry frog legs GREAT! I haven't had any in almost 40 yrs!

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped gigging many years ago after on old friend showed me how to "fish" for them. An old cane pole, small swatch of red felt about 1"x2"), 10' of mono and a good spotlight. Shine the light on em and "dangle" the red felt tied to end of the mono just above thier head. Out comes the tongue wraps into the red felt and you've got him!. No mess, no fuss.. FUN..

They think the little piece of cloth is a moth. Works like a charm.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to go quite often when I was around 16-18 yrs old. We'd use a buddy's parents' 10 Sears aluminum boat. Park a rig downstream, and go upstream a mile or two and put in. Lots of fun for boys wanting an excuse to get out and drink a few beers and jacka55 around. Lots of snakes though, which gave us more reason to harass one another. We'd go a week early to "get'em before the poachers do" "gaadump, gaadump" Rofl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast