Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long can cleaned crappie sit in the fridge?

Post Thanks / Like

Default how long can cleaned crappie sit in the fridge?

hey, whats the amount of time cleaned crappie can stay in the refridge before spoiling before cooking?

i usualy freeze or cook mine the same night, but today is saturday, i cought these fish thursday and cleaned them thursday night and put in tub of water and in fridge..

if they are still ok id like to cook them rite now{ but i cant tell, cause i dont know}

i usualy dont store in fridge more than a hour or two- but i hate to throw them away- and id hate to get sick too.

thanks please.

Post Thanks / Like

They should be fine. If you put them in the fridge on some ice with no water and put plastic wrap over the top of your container they can stay good for a few days. Even if you didn't do all that, since you just cleaned them Thursday night, I wouldn't worry about it. A few things to check though: do they still smell fresh, have they maintained their even color, if you press on the meat does it kind of bounce back to it's original form. If everything checks out they're good to go.
    Simple Life = Better Life

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb; color and smell are the easiest indicaters. Most REFRIDGERATED fish sealed up SHOULD stay good for 4 days. Past that, wouldn`t chance it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slab-in-the-box View Post
    They should be fine. If you put them in the fridge on some ice with no water and put plastic wrap over the top of your container they can stay good for a few days. Even if you didn't do all that, since you just cleaned them Thursday night, I wouldn't worry about it. A few things to check though: do they still smell fresh, have they maintained their even color, if you press on the meat does it kind of bounce back to it's original form. If everything checks out they're good to go.
    thnks guys- but did i mess up by putting them in a big tupperware of water and sealed up in the fridge.........i never store in fridge...just cook or freeze...\]
    i was out of time so i put them in a big bowl covered them in cold water........is that a big NO NO???????

i didnt know the difference......let me know if you think they are still ok.......THE COLOR LOOKS LIKE THE SAME DAY AND THEY FEEL OK- NO MUSHY FEELING.

Post Thanks / Like

should fine to cook we usually keep ours in the fridge to eat on and then freeze them. as long as they look and smell good enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

That's the way I leave mine, for up to three days, no problem. I put them in a bowl, and cover with water, no lid. I actually prefer them to soak a day or two. It seems to firm them up some if I didn't have them on ice when I came in from fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with the above....if they smell fishy...may not be any good, but fresh smelling, good to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I know for sure that the cooling capabilities of one's fridge has great impact on how long anything will stay fresh. I had some bad experience with an old fridge, cooling was terrible. I got a new danby fridge and I'm more than happy with it. If anyone is having similar issues I recommend you check this out:

http://www.minifridge24.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Should be good to go...... A couple of days ain't gonna hurt.

Midsouth tackle Prostaff
    Ozark rods Prostaff

Feel free to contact me at: 1-501-231-3374
    Midsouth Tackle Pro Staff
    www.midsouthtackle.com
    Ozark Rod Pro Staff
    Cumberland Crappie Equipment Pro Staff
    www.cumberlandcrappie.com

You can contact me at:1-501-231-3374

Post Thanks / Like

If your fridge is good and cold, 3 days will be fine. I put fillets in the fridge in cold salted water before freezing regularly.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast