Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any bug/fly tossers around ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any bug/fly tossers around ?

I finally got the chance to try tossing a fly to the Crappie and I was instantly hooked ! Thumbs Up The Crappie are stacked up in the shallow feeder canals because of the cold wet spring we're having here and the fly fishing is second to none ! It is Truly Amazing to watch the top water strikes on the foam bugs and cork poppers, The wakes from them charging after it were Incredible, 3 or 4 fish at a time, slapping at it ! One Hopper pattern foam bug got hammered so much that all that was left on the hook was a tiny piece of chenille and some thread ! I wish I had tried this years ago ! Doh

Post Thanks / Like

never heard of catching crappie that way and i used to fly fish a lot back in the day for bream and bass.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought Topwater strikes from Bass on Plugs was cool, its got nothin on the violent charges from these Crappies !! They were completely out of the water and their little fish minds chasing the foam bugs and poppers !

Post Thanks / Like

We have a whole fly fishing board:

Fly Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

great report....wish we were having your weather!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome when a Crappie strikes something on top.When I first started fly fishing i caught some on a small white popper,what a blast.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Post Thanks / Like

You can do a lot with a floating fly line that the long rods cannot, when it comes to crappie fishing! I have fished this way, crappie for years! It’s amazing what hatches are on the average lake through the course of a day! One lake I get to on occasion has a black fly hatch about the time the sun dances on tree top! Those flies start popping on the water surface for about 90 minutes most days, after long sun and no breeze! They could be every day, but you don’t see the affects with any chop on the water! You will always know when it is going to happen as the swallows will show up!
    Crappies go mad, about 20 feet out from the bank, as that is about the transition point of the slope to lake bottom. I understand that the slope of the dam has chunk-rock out to that same point and the flies are living in the mud along that edge…. About 10-12 feet of water at that location!
    Great fishing!
    FliTrap