Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with a question and photo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie with a question and photo

Hey ya'll,

I finally decided to join the forum. I absolutely love crappie fishing and what better place to talk about crappie fishing than crappie.com. Also ya'll seem very polite. I'm apart of other forums and I haven't seen a more courteous crowd than you. Now on to my question(s).

My dad, grandpa, brother and I all go on a annual crappie fishing trip. The past three years we've been going to Truman and have hammered them there. The first year we kept 106 and probably caught 250 in two days work. The second year we kept 75 and probably caught 150. The third year we kept 50 and caught around 100. All the fish were over 10". The last year we caught terrible weather. Thunderstorms every day and cold as heck. We didnt see sunlight the whole trip. Well this year we decided to go to Lake Rathbun here in southern Iowa. We only caught 8 keepers and probably caught 50 crappie. They were spawning the three weekdays before we got there. A terrible front moved in (same weekend as the Joplin tornado) and we had a heck of a time finding them. I dont know if any of you have fished Rathbun but the pool was at a normal level and there seemed to be very little structure. Crappie cove is where we caught the 8. My question to you all is what do you normally do when a cold front rolls in with rain?

Heres a pic of the 15 incher I caught:

Name:  Fish.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  56.6 KB
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 06-14-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to have you here and good looking fish! I'll let the more knowledgeable crappie folks help you out with your questions.
    Eric W.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Forum CloneFan4. Great picture. You are fortunate to be able to fish with your whole family. Enjoy it every chance you get, my friend. It don't get any better than that. Again, welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigflinger View Post
    Welcome to the Forum CloneFan4. Great picture. You are fortunate to be able to fish with your whole family. Enjoy it every chance you get, my friend. It don't get any better than that. Again, welcome.
    I am very fortunate. Even weeks after the trips all we talk about is the fishing trip. Unfortunatly we don't do much crappie fishing other than the trip. There's a couple of farm ponds that we fish but we mainly fish Walleye. There's not many spots here in Iowa worthy of fishing for crappie.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. To answer your question I used to just put on a rain suit and find a nice cove. I might fish a little deeper till I found where the crappies hunkered down. Now at age 65 I tend to still do the same if I am out on the bank fishing.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Welcome from Alabama. To answer your question I used to just put on a rain suit and find a nice cove. I might fish a little deeper till I found where the crappies hunkered down. Now at age 65 I tend to still do the same if I am out on the bank fishing.
    That's what we did. We vertical jigged southern pro 2" hot grubs and some tubes tipped with minnows. We tried from 2 fow-20 fow and it still didnt make much of a difference. Tried stumps (best luck we had), points, dropoffs and much more. We would have fished more timber but there was only one cove in the whole lake that had standing stumps. I know that's hard to believe but we fished the whole lake and only found that one cove with timber. Didn't know if ya'll fished with different lures or what when fronts come in.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 06-14-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Rathbun in the early 90's when I was chasing the tournaments. You have a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to CDC CloneFan4 from the better State to the West of ya. hehe Couldn't resist! I put a 1/16 Red Road Runner head on with a White bubble belly tail. Slow down and they jump on um. You can either jig it or cast it. I use this after a front moves through or in the rain. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome fellow Iowa fisherman. There are some good lakes in Iowa if you know where to look. pm me and ill fill you in.
    Wishin I was Fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ya'll. You guys are awesome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast