Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Type of Anchor Do You Have on Your Boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Type of Anchor Do You Have on Your Boat?

I need a new anchor for my boat because lately we been doing a lot of bream fishing and when we find them stacked up it would be nice to hold in one spot for a while. I had an anchor on the boat when I first bought it but it struggled to hold the boat in the river current so I eventually just took it off.

I'm just curious what type of anchor you guys use and how big your boat is. My boat is around 18.5 feet long and 5 feet wide. Anchor will be used mainly in lakes with not much current but it would be nice to be able to use it in the river once in a while too. The original anchor I had on the boat was a 15lb navy anchor but I think maybe I should of been using a 25lb instead.

Also I know some of you have the legendary powerpoles but before you try to convince me that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread my budget is 50 bucks, lol :D

Just mainly curious what you use and if it really holds your boat in place.

Post Thanks / Like

My boats the same size, fished a cat tourney Saturday first time I think I've tried to stay anchored, 2 15lbers wouldn't hold boat in 10 to 15 mph wind, no current, I has to throw out my chains to hold still, lookin for new anchors now also.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

For shallow water I use a home made stick it pin. On lakes with little or no wind a 15lb mushroom anchor, and in current or high wind I use a danforth anchor with 6' of chain before the rope.. I have a G3 1448.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 17x60 flat bottom. I use a 20lb danforth, and I keep two 15lb mushrooms, as well. I had trouble holding in 10mph or higher winds with two mushrooms, but the danforth does good on lakes, even in 15mph wind. I haven't tried the danforth on the river, I know the mushrooms didn't even slow me down on the river. I picked the danforth up at wally-world for about $30.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up This is the anchor I use

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

6 inch piece of RR rail. It will hold the Quenn Mary
    Likes BuckeyeCrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 24ft deck boat that is 9ft wide. I have a 20 pound mushroom anchor for the front and a Danforth for the back end. The danforth is coupled with 25ft of chain. I had always heard that you need a length of chain equal to you boats length to make sure the anchor laid down properly. In windy conditions, you need to drop your anchor and then move away from it to "set it". Once my danforth is set, I usually run twice the depth in "rode" on the anchor rope. In other words for 12 foot of water, I will drop the rear anchor about 30 foot from where I want to position the boat and then move past the spot I want and drop the front anchor and then move back to the spot I want and I have no problem of getting blown off my spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Select an anchor based on bottom material, sand, mud, rock, etc. Anchor chain makes a big diff, and most cruisers use it to help them hold. I second what bombfixer said about setting the anchor. If not enough slack is in the line, it will bounce along the bottom instead of digging in.
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

Post Thanks / Like

I use two rotors off of 3/4 ton truck.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 12lb mushroom anchors, but I fish shallow lakes so I don't fight any current.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast