Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here! Some questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Here! Some questions.

Hi folks. I'm new to crappie fishing. I live in an old housing development in south GA and many of the houses are built around six big ponds/lakes. Some guys catch several crappie out of these lakes in Feb/March, including the one I live on. I have a 10 ft Bass Hunter boat for fishing these lakes. Right now I don't know where the fish are, but I'm gonna start fishing deep for them as soon as I get my fish-finder mounted. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cannot help you on the ponds but wanted to welcome you to the boards.:p
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Get some road-runners and rig a rod off each side. Set the trolling motor on low speed and have at it. I would keep a marker buoy close so when you hook up with crappie, you can mark the spot.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Get some road-runners and rig a rod off each side. Set the trolling motor on low speed and have at it. I would keep a marker buoy close so when you hook up with crappie, you can mark the spot.
    I agree, you can cover a lot of water doing that, pick one area in the lake and troll it at different distance from the shore line each time. You can also use different wght Road-runners on each side to vary your depth a little.

Welcome to the site!!!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

First thing in the morning and late in the day, you might try casting jigs to the ends of trees that have fallen in the water and trying to bring it just over the top of the limbs on the end. This time of year, I usually do better with the crystal shad or chartreuse. You'll probably catch a lot of smaller fish with a few good ones mixed in. There are times you might want to try a floatAs soon as the sun pops out, crappie will get tighter to the shade and that's when I switch to tighlining with a 1/8 or 1/4 oz. jig. I also tip with crappie nibbles. You should be able to catch better fish doing this.

I would recommend using 6 lb. or less fluorocarbon line with a graphite reel.

This time of year, be sure to put them on ice right away so they won't spoil. Don 't let anyone kid you those little Bass Hunter boats can be great on small areas. You can get into spots the big boats can't. Don't be discouraged if you have a bad trip or two, you are still learning the water and trying to figure everything out. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody. I love my little Bass Hunter boat!

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the site.
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from south GA also (Tifton/Omega). I'm having good luck right now fishing deep, with curly tail grubs (1.5 or 2 inch), and an ultra light rod and reel with 4 pound mono test. Where I've been going, they've been biting with a somewhat fast retrieve compared to the slow retrieve that I use for bass, etc.
    Eric W.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omegapd View Post
    Welcome from south GA also (Tifton/Omega). I'm having good luck right now fishing deep, with curly tail grubs (1.5 or 2 inch), and an ultra light rod and reel with 4 pound mono test. Where I've been going, they've been biting with a somewhat fast retrieve compared to the slow retrieve that I use for bass, etc.
    I live at the Forest Lakes subdivision in Tifton. Thanks for the info! Working on getting my fish/depth finder mounted today. If it doesn't soon rain I may just walk out to the deep hole and start fishing for them. Ponds have gone down almsot 2-ft where I live. Whew! Need some rain badly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast