Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing structure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing structure

Question is fishing a stake mat or brushpile in say 12' of water or so. Do you idol your boat over the top of it using a GPS and throw a bouy out to mark it? Does that scare the fish in that depth?

Post Thanks / Like

No. That depth is where most of my structure is located, 10-12 fow. I fish with a 9ft tite line style rod so I STAY on top of the hole and dont have any problems. More than once Ive tossed a marker in 2ft from the boat and caught a fish before the weight hit the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

What I do is try to pinpoint the structure with my jig then move up wind about 5 to 10' and drop the marker. I will usually float a few feet down wind. Then I face my kayak into the wind and using a 10' jig pole I start on the edge of the pile at about 3' deep and work my way slowly to the bottom and to the center of the structure then to the other side. Just the way I usually do it if I'm jigging.
    Mike Barnett

Post Thanks / Like

exactly. thats the way you should TRY to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

When I get close to a brush pile I shut the big motor down and put the trolling motor down and troll over the brush pile and I drop the bouys to the out sides of the piles so I don't get into the bouy lines while I am fishing. I keep the boat moving while fishing a pile. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I do what EB does, learned the hard way. Set marker outside structure, then fish left, right or whatever direction and distance you want for "cusion". Stinks when the bite is on and a slab wraps you uo in the line, loosingn the fish and the spot!

All of our products are Made in the USA with all American made materials.
    Artificial fish habitat,crappie attractors and bass structure made from PVC.
    Numerous models of various sizes,textures and shapes for fry to lunkers.
    Mention Crappie.com with your order for 10% off!!
    Fishiding.com Structurespot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I find that to be the hardest part. I like to find the structure, drop the marker right on top, position with the wind in my face and then with my 1st cast tangle the jig into the marker, reel in the marker, cuss for awhile trying to figure out how to get the danged barb out of that nylon marker line, and then settle down and fish the structure without the marker. Maybe I should just skip the 1st part? Seriously, I do have a problem with keeping my deep-v luminum from drifting even with an anchor out in the front and back.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about the barb in the string, and to bring up the cussing... me too!

All of our products are Made in the USA with all American made materials.
    Artificial fish habitat,crappie attractors and bass structure made from PVC.
    Numerous models of various sizes,textures and shapes for fry to lunkers.
    Mention Crappie.com with your order for 10% off!!
    Fishiding.com Structurespot.com