Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pole Holder Angles...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Pole Holder Angles...

I'm looking into getting a few rod holders and I see several angle options available at the retail outlets. I'm looking at the Driftmaster series.

Why do many of the trollers/drifters opt for their rods/poles almost horizontal with the water? Looks like a slight upward angle (20-25 degrees) would be desirable so your pole tip won't be in the water when the slabs start dancing...

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Paddle Straight and Prosper
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Old Town Discovery 158 Canoe

Post Thanks / Like

My Driftmasters are at 25-30°. It helps to keep the tips out of the water when it's rough. This spring with the wind as it's been down here, the water has been real rough. I assume the hortizontal mounts are for those used on extention poles, t-bars, etc. as well as high profile boats.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

when spider rigging I like to have my poles about 1 foot to 1 1/2 feet above the water.
    when bobber fishing I like my rod tips up.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For trolling or spider rigging having the rods as low to the water as possible helps from the wind catching your poles and lines as much and allows for the jigs to run (and remain) deeper. For night fishing I'd want all my rods horizontal. Running planer boards for striper you may want them tilted up some.Just keep in mind that with driftmaster holders you can adjust them at whatever angle you want them assuming theyre mounted onto T-bars. You could turn a 0 degree holder to 45 degrees if you want it there.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

When spider riggin....I want enough distance between the rod tip and the water to be able to determine if 1 of my lines is moving off to the side....

All fish bites do not bend the rod tip ......some fish just grab the bait and move off to the side......or just sit still holding the bait....

Seeing 1 line at a different angle than the rest of my rigs indicates that I have a fish or a hang up.....

Time to set the hook...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Get the ones on a T bar and then you can adjust the angle to suit the conditions.

Trolling Systems and Accessories
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Go with a trolling bar such as the T-250 which allows you to adjust the rod tips to your liking. You can find an example here along with an assortment of Driftmaster Trolling Setups. Driftmaster Rod Holders There are several types of setups from Driftmaster and we stock them all. The guys are right with their advice of having the rod tip close to the water except in very rough water.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the feedback.

I am almost for certain that I will not utilize the T-bar systems that are available even though they look sharp. I more than likely will run no more than two rods on both sides. My thoughts for now are that I will utilize the Tracker Grizzly's Versatrack sides to rig something up.

Thanks for the heads up on the horizontal particulars.
    Paddle Straight and Prosper
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Old Town Discovery 158 Canoe

Post Thanks / Like

Contact Ed Duke at Southern Crappie Rods,his stainless steel rod holders are fully adjustable.These are the best I have seen and he has T-BARS to match.I promise you will be happy you went this route.

Post Thanks / Like

the small t bars from driftmasters will handle two rods easy, don't think there would be room for 3. Driftmaster has different angles on their single rod holders, from 0 degrees on up, along with couple different heights, and for the L or R side of the boat.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast