Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Washington around the university.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Washington around the university.

Have crappie ever been found around the arboretum area? I've heard people catch some perch in that area. Anybody ever catch any crappie there?

Post Thanks / Like

yea i think you can get them in there later in the year but it is very shallow all in there so i think that you will need to go deeper to find them. later in the year they will come in there to spawn

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few good honeyholes back in there. I know of two places where they stack up to spawn but you'd need a boat.

Back in the area next to the golf course can be pretty good in the spring and summer from the bank but it's kinda hit or miss. The crappie will be right at the banks edge. I mean RIGHT on the bank pretty much. One old guy that used to fish for them back in there would use a 12 foot pole with about 7 inches of line from the tip of the pole to his hook. On the hook would be a small strip of chamois cloth. He would walk along the bank real slow with that long rod and drop his hook in water about 4-10" off the bank. Sounds crazy as hell I know, but I swear that old man caught more big crappie out of there then I have ever seen in my life. I was about 12 years old at the time and didn't know anything about those crappie. We used to always go to the Snake River or Kapowsin to catch crappie at that time. He explained to me that the crappie would work in schools and they'd pin the minnows up against the bank. Not sure how true that is but judging by the stringers of fish I seen him come out of there with.....he must of known something. To this day that is the only way I've caught them back by the golf course. I use jigs but every crappie I've caught back there was right at the edge of the bank.

There some really good catfishing back in there as well. From late March to about October you can catch them with a worm and bobber. Behind UW Stadium is a really good catfishing hole.
    Last edited by SlabKing; 03-22-2006 at 03:54 PM.