Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: All small fish here !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default All small fish here !!

Hi all, Sending a question to all of you for some help. I have a camp on A small lake in Theresa NY. The lake has L-mouth, Crappies, Blue gills, Bullheds, Walleyes, Northerns and TigerMuskys. The lake has a depth of 1' to maybe 20 at the deepest. Plenty of weeds on one side and both ends, Sides have cliffs and alot of rock structure,
    Heres my deal.. Fished last weekend and this past and picking up Crappies and the largest is 10" alot of 4-9" and plenty of them. I went to the grass, rocks, wall etc. and picked of fish at all places and nothing with any size ...
    So is it all are fighing for bait fish "which there is not alot of"? Not as many as I was a kid there. Is it there are to many small Crappies, Blue Gills etc. and can't get any growth? Pike seem to be doing well and so are the Bass. I know they fish it it the winter but not sure if they target Crappies and possibly over fish it ???
    We have done well sometimes and so far nothing good. Looking forward to some reponses, espcially from you guys down south... TY, EdRod. Syracuse,NY

Post Thanks / Like

First off, have you ever taken any decent sized crappie there? Maybe they are all stunted. If you have caught some respectable 1 1/2 - 2 lb. crappie there, but just can't seem to find them now, it may be your location. Focus on the steepest drop off to that 20' depth and think in terms of them being suspended. Sometimes a slip bobber can work wonders!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

We have taken some with some size, between 9-12 " Far and in between though. I will give the drops a shot with a fathead and a float. I'll also try the x67c I use for ice fishing. Tried it once and did OK with it. TY for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Our pond became overpopulated with crappie several years ago. You could honestly catch one on every cast about 5 inches long. Best thing we found were a couple of flathead catfish. Put a couple in there and they helped clean it out! Also, if you want crappie, your gonna have to thin out all the predatory fish. I realize they're too small, but they fertilize a garden really well. How big is this spot? To start a pond, you only need two breeding pair of crappie per acre. I say thin em out, place lots of baitfish in and watch em grow.

Post Thanks / Like

179 acres, Crappies here need to be 9" legal size and can't be sold. A guy last weekend caught a 42" tiger musky and sent it back on its way. I personally would of found something else to do with it. Crappie in NY cant be sold like Perch or Brim. Looked at like sport fish? We'll see if there is a turn around. I'm going to look into deeper water and see if theres any suspended. As for baitfish...None really, Between bass , pike, walleyes I think they're getting all eatin up before the even have a chance. Last year the NY DEC put 437. 10" tiger muskeys and 4000, 1.5 " walleye fry. So they're go. Doesn't make sense. They say that the Tigers do not reproduce but I wondering about that.