Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cottonwood trees

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cottonwood trees

Nebraska's state tree is in bloom, unfortunately.

For anyone who knows what the cottonwood, you know what a hassle it is when your fishing and the cotton gets stuck to your line.

Its like wet cotton balls that stick to your line while fishing and can quickly accumulate into big white bulges that mess up your spool.

Suggestions on how to temper down on this problem.

The easiest way i have found is to wait until it gets really bad, pinch your fingers together when retrieving the line to catch the bulk of it, cut the line and slide white clumps of cotton off and then re-rig your line. Downside is that you can find yourself doing this quite frequently and it rather time consuming.

The hardest way is to do the above, except instead of cutting the line, keep pulling and plucking the white cotton clumps for the line. Downside is that once again, its time consuming and can be quite messy.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Cottonwoods can be a pain to deal with just like the Oaks in the spring. While longlining if I have trouble with my line picking up debris I will clip on a very small weight a couple of feet above the jig. The small weight will catch the debris and will keep your jig free to fish for awhile .
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

When the cotton is flying, it is time to go Carp fishing! Get some whole kernal corn and a bobber and hold on. Set the bobber about a foot from the hook and get ready for the fight of your life. They most definently will stretch your 4lb line. Learn to take advantage of every situation. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Always seems to be some kind of trash on the water. I find myself fishing with those small weights above the jig more than I do without it most of the year.:rolleyes: Glad we dont have those cottonwoods around here.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

That stuff is a pain in the butt , but.....
    When I see them it tells me a few things .
    The Striper bite in the river is red hot...
    The Walleye have set up in about 16 FOW at my favorite lake and are hungry...
    The Largemouth are off their beds and hot to bite....:D

Post Thanks / Like

We dont have many cottonwoods around here, except for the one across the street. When it drops seed it looks like it snowing and my yard is completely covered in white. I have to clean my airconditioner coils every year because of those seeds. The tree across the street must be 100 years old. Its about 14' in diameter. Last year it got struck by lightening. A strip about 2' wide from top to bottom blew out, sent shrap tree everywhere. Put a dent in my sons friends car, we found debris 3 houses away. I still find chunks around the yard. Some of it had enough force to slide under the grass and stick. Fortunately I have some big trees in the front yard, otherwise it would have come through our windows, especially the bay window. On the unusual side, several years ago another lightening strike made my garage door stop working, this strike and my garage door works again, however the light never goes off. Plus it trpped all the CGFI breakers in teh house. We didnt get hit by lightening, but it struck only 100' away. We also ahve a couple of dogs that are scarred of storms now.

Good to know about the Walleye bite. Our tree dropped seed last weekend.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I HATE those cottonwood trees! That stuff is a major annoyance to me as well. All I can do is pick the stuff off my line as best I can, and remind myself that it won't last forever.
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

It's my experience that crappie love to hang out around over hanging cottonwoodS? May make it hard to fish, but, if the fish are there?
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The stuff is a pain. Battled it a few weeks ago here, but that's where the crappie were at.

Post Thanks / Like

Well i only have to deal with one lake around the area that had cottonwoods. Unfortunately the carp and bass hang out over in that area. Hook a bass yesterday, but there are stories already posted about what happened with that.

I went carp fishing this morning, big bad boys too, cept they weren't biting on the corn, even tried as much as 5 kernels on one hook. Oh well, I'll try later this afternoon in the same spot. Carp had to be around 20" long and weigh over 10 lbs. Times like that make me wish i had a bow and arrow.

*edit* Well no wonder i didn't catch any carp, i didn't chum the area first. I'll have to remember that.
    Last edited by ChrisCarter; 06-05-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast