Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pulling Cranks

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling Cranks

Finally got Lancer Boat rigged to pull cranks. Went to Jordan Lake today. Wind early was 20 MPH with white caps on the water. Surface temp was 82 degrees.

On first pass,three (3) Catfish all around 10 lbs hit 2 rods on the back and 1 rod on the front. Nine (9) out of ten (10) rods were completely tangled. If that was not bad enough, (3) lines wrapped up in the prop. Trebble hooks can be impossible to untangle in a mass of lines and wiggling catfish. We cut all the lines and went home to re-rig.

Re-rigging will be for Tightlining and not for cranks. I will stick to my 22 poles with 1 jig and 1 hook on each.

Monk Monk's Crappie

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

10 rods is a little much for pulling cranks. I usually only pull 6.....I use rod lengths that will allow me 4 ft. of separation between them.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

If you'll set your boat up to pull out of the back with 6 poles you'll have a lot less troubles. I'll set in the front facing back and under the umbrella. When a pole goes to dancing, I go back and reel him in. There's no big hurry, they hook themselves.
    ScottV's Custom Crappie Cranks
    Crankbait Pushing Weights

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys use specifically crappie cranks, wiggle warts, or does it matter? How about drop shotting with sinkers when it gets really hot. I saw a crappie fishing video with guys using crappie cranks with drop shots but it was in gin clear water.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

We use 200 Bandits for shallow water and 300 Bandits for deeper water.
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Nice bieng a new member I havent got to catch up on all my reading I just got the bandit depth chart over on mississippi's crappie fishing page.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I pull 6 cranks out the back also. It's enough of a mess if a striper, hybrid or big cat hits one of the baits.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to read up on it and find out all there is to know about pulling cranks.....go here and start reading.... http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...nks-101-a.html
    PICO Lures Field Rep

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And be sure and read it,,it gives you all the ups and downs of 2 yrs of pullin crankbaits that the Mississippi guys experimented with,,and everything in it, works..to perfection. I have limited out alot this year with Bandits,,and loved every minute of it. Going in the morning and pulling cranks !

authorized by: Billbob and "G"