Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Using Bream for Bait??

Opossum Valley Alabama (Only in Walker County will you find a place like this)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Using Bream for Bait??

Does anyone know if it is legal to use live bream for stripe fishing? I cannot find anything on the laws concerning this in the state of Alabama. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember right it is legal as long as you don't have over the daily creel limit in possesion
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

It is legal when you catch your bait on rod and reel. For stripers, keep the bait very happy in a good tank and just before you hook it on, take scissors and cut of the dorsal fin. Stripers do not like the feel of this in their mouths. They will often take them without this however. These are also good for cats if you cut into 2 pieces (halves), one half for one hook.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^What tnhooker said, and if I may add it is not legal if they are caught by cast net, trap, etc.

Big cats love 'em live too!
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

Opossum Valley Alabama (Only in Walker County will you find a place like this)
    Post Thanks / Like

[/IMG]Alright heres another question. What if I catch them on one body of water and use them on another? And yesterday was our first time to use bream. Years ago when we striped alot people were selling shad on the lake. Now they are very hard to find to be purchased. So we would just buy big shiners and do what we could. Now bream seems to be our easiest route. I need to find somekind of fly or jig, cause at times the baitshops betwqeen here and the lake will not have crickets. We managed 3 off hte bream. Without cutting the dorsal fin. Ill try that next time tho. Thanks
    Last edited by shum8; 06-03-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shum8 View Post
    ... What if I catch them on one body of water and use them on another? ...
    Generally that is frowned upon. Easy way to introduce new species and transfer diseases. Best bet is to stick to same body of water (or a tributary to the lake).