Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Planning a Summer Trip to Grenada or Kentucky Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning a Summer Trip to Grenada or Kentucky Lake

Which lake should I choose? Is trolling my best bet with crappie cranks. If I should jig how deep in July. I want to try night fishing aswell. I plan to drop the green light in the lake over structer? Is that legal in Mississippi? Anyone know how much out of state fishing liscense are? Are the camp grounds nice?Any tips I can get would be great.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

Post Thanks / Like

Grenada would be great trolling cranks around river channel ledges. The campground is great at Hugh White State Park, as far as out of state licenses, ya may wanna check at mdwfp.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd choose Grenada, but I'll admit I'm a bit partial. Besides, we're po folk and could stand it if you spend large quantities of cash here and about.

Excellent crank bite by then. Night fishing is non-existent. Not many do it around here due to muddy water. I'm sure it could be done, but honestly don't know a soul that has ever had luck with it.

Licences info is here: MDWFP License & Law Enforcement Looks like there's a good Armed Forces discount if that applies to you.

Jigging and trolling can be had, but cranking is king in July. Campgrounds are excellent and reasonable. Check out the North end of the levee for the best sites. Although there are cabins that are spartan but clean at Hugh White as well. July might be tough to get one though.

The hitch in the wagon will be "other sights". If you're bringing the family who wants to shop and whatnot, closest large city is about 95 miles. There's golf on the lake now and a "pichur show" but that's about it other than eating. If that's a consideration, KY might be a better choice.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments fella's. Just bringing the wife and she wants a trophy too. Only shopping that will be done is for minnows if there are no small creeks around to sain our own. Last I heard there was some issue's with getting across the mississippi, any validity to that? Thinking about hauling the big deck boat down but if we could rent one for cheaper we might do that too. I'll take any suggestions on marina's or boat renals or whatever.

Last thing when you guys crank do you use a drop shot or to explain it better a three way swivel with a sinker on one end and the crank on the other. Does spider rigging work well too? Thanks for the responses again

Post Thanks / Like

Far as I know, you can cross the MS from Memphis on down, but don't know about north of there.

Minnows - you'll need to buy 'em.

Boat - No rentals on Grenada

"Marina's" - really don't have that here, it's more like a ramp and a parking lot. Bait and Gas can't be bought at the water, but there's a couple of good bait shops in town.

I pull from the back with line counter reels and no weight direct tied to the crank. Others push from the front using heavy weights and swivels and what not, but I think either pulling from the side or back is most popular on Grenada.

What you can do is use the cranks to locate the fish and if you find a congregation over an area, work on 'em with the spider rig. Might want to do a combination in the same day since it gets so hot on up in the day, it's hard to stay moving so slow with the rigs.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks brother awesome information I am so stoked about making the haul down to Grenada. It's gonna be about 6 1/2hours or so but if I can catch a couple of giants like at 16 or 17 inches it will be worth it all day. I know I'm asking alot of questions and I appreciate the responses.