Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How long before you change jigs??

Post Thanks / Like

Question How long before you change jigs??

Trying to ween myself somewhat off of using minnows 100% of the time I have started using the abundance of jigs I have some how acquried over the years. How long do you give a jig a chance before you switch colors, weight, etc?? My main attempts right now are around my boat as it sets in a marina. Using minnows I have caught fish everytime so I know they are there. Most of the jigs I have must be the best because after reading on here that this one or that one is the best ever I just have to buys some!! Thumbs Up Any thoughts and input as always is greatly appreciated.....b49
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually don’t change until the body won’t stay on the jig head but then again I’m stubborn and even super glue them to the jig most of the time. Change weight almost never also, use 1/8 almost 99.99% of the time, and never use minnows. It think is has more to do with my confidence in what I’m using than what the fish want.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish "jigs" almost 95% of the time ... and that's usually a 1/16oz weedless jighead with some style of plastic body. I rarely change "jigs" (ie - jighead), but do change the weight/size to a 1/32oz, when confronted with a very shallow water scenario or need a slower fall rate. Now, as far as changing jig "bodies" ... I do so based on a couple of things : if I'm convinced that the fish are there, but don't want the color I'm using .... or, if fishing with another person, who's using a different color, & they're getting bites & I'm not ... LOL !! Otherwise, I'm likely to fish no more than two or three different colors or color combos, within a days fishing. I just make sure I make a total color/shade change, at least once or twice during the day ... and a slight color/shade change at least once. I figure, that way I'm homing in on the shade or color that's most visible to them, and use the "slight change" in color to tweak my choice ... especially if I start getting some "reluctant" bites.
    I tend to start with blues or greens, with chartreuse tails .... make my major change to something like black or red w/char ... and my "slight" tweak could be a slightly softer or brighter main color of whatever color is getting those nibble type bites. Though it's rare that the grn/char or blu/char doesn't produce hits, it does happen ... and when I've fished some prime areas for a few hours w/o results, then I start changing or tweaking.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Good info. I've been wanting to slowly progress away from minnows for crappies as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't over work the jig as sometimes they don't want it even moving at all. If you move it make slow moves and just let the line swing back under your rod tip.

You have got to be confident in your jigs or you will change too fast and maybe put teh one that will work best back into your box. However If after a few minutes, or if the bite is light and you hook them in the lips you may want to change colors. If they eat the jig and he's hooked in the back of the mouth, you know you have the color right.

How long to wait, that is a tough question because you want to give them a good chance to take it. Also if fishing under a roof so the sun is not making it's self seen, you have a larger color choice. If I know they are there and I can catch them on a minnow, but want to use a jig, I wouldn't give them a lot of time before I change colors or size or both. Just don't put it down there and after a minute or two you change. Just give them the opportunity to see several ways you fish for them, like holding as still as you can. Then maybe moving your rod over say 2'-3' and just letting it swing back under the rod tip. Last but may be the ticket some is to jig it down some and remember they will not feed down so you jig has to be at or above their level.

Also be very careful to watch you line when the jig is falling down to the depth your wanting, anything that happens then, like it stops and you know it's not on the bottom, set the hook or if your line jumps a little when falling, set the hook.

Sometimes you may want to cast it out a little and let it swing back to you and again, what your line.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

When me and the wife fish together we will start off with different color jighead and skirts (see picture below) and fish all the structure. Then depending on what we got hits on we will change maybe just the skirt color and fish it again......then maybe chage jighead color and try it again. We will do this till we find something the fish like the best and will both go to that color and fish it or maybe both try a different color in the same color range. Like said the main thing is not to fish it to fast.

Name:  DSCF4874.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  40.8 KB
    RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT!

"Life is like a coin, you can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once"

Post Thanks / Like

After the Crappie quit biting one color before I leave the spot I will throw two to three different colors tipped with different nibblers. I usually always tip with something I get 50 percent more bites.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

Post Thanks / Like

when they rip, i toss them. i rub scent on my hands and check them before ever time i put um in the water, so they have a nice scent to them even if they are well used.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

i use hair jigs 95% of the time there are about 5 or 6 colors that i use mostly if they dont work i will try another day!!! blue&wh.pink&chart, blk&blk , pink,chart. and wh. and green&chart.
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great input! Skip, if anything I am thinking I may be staying with the jigs to long! My main issue is probably the saying I read alot on here............after I slow down I should slow down some more! Although I am what I would call a pretty patient fisherman, I don't think I'm as patient with jigs as I am when fishing a minnow. I'm going to stay with it and try the suggestion you all have offer up. Again thanks for the suggestions and info. You guys are the best!! Hands Clapping Thumbs Up
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.