Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand held gps

Kerzon Guest

Default Hand held gps

Im looking for information on a hand held gps.
    Im not looking to spend a fortune but would like to get a good one.
    Does a color scrreen make a difference? Do you have to buy the maps seperatly? How close do they get you to the spots you have marked?
    Which units should I be looking at? Pros and cons of any.
    Could you use it to run through the channel at winter draw down?
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Kerzon

Tiny Guest

the Lowrance H20 is probably the best buy and you need to get an SD chip from walmart ... I think the 128 meg chips are 20 bucks and if you know anyone that's already got the MapCreate software get them to load the chip for you but it's best to get MapCreate yourself so that you can get the chip reader/writer ... color don't matter much but make sure you get the cig lighter adapter with it. batteries don't last long in them. you can get free lake maps off the lowrance site to put on it also that are very accurate on some lakes and there's a bunch of different deals like fishing hotspots and what have you that you can load in your lowrance handheld

Post Thanks / Like

When I was looking about everyone told me to get the color unit if I could. And let me tell you. Its easy to look at. A buddy of mine has the black and white one. And its hard to see compared my my 76C.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Garmin Etrex legend, and now, I wish I would have got the color one....especially since I've invested in the fishing hotspots software. It's still a very good unit, though.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

I got a Garmin 76 CSx a couple months back. Larger Screen than the legend/Vista series, color screen, expandable memory. Works great for the water and land. I use it to route to the ramp ( with city navigator software) and to find spots on the water. Also, being handheld it can be carried from one boat to another (going fishing with a wise individual and marking spots that are hot for later). Love it. Would buy it again. Got it on eBay for around $475. "http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=94870&item=5860022 426"

Post Thanks / Like

Got a Lowrance H2O and love it. Easy to use with a large screen. The Lowrance website has some free lake maps you can download. All you need is a card- I use an old SD card from my PDA. Definitely worth the investment in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an etrex legend, I am really just getting into the GPS thing, but it will take you back to the same spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Kerzon, I recently bought a plain ol' Garmin etrex at Bass Pro for $89.00. It is very easy to use, is waterproof, and seems to work quite well. It will store 500 waypoints. GPS units are a lot like fishfinders, and many other things...you can spend as much or as little as you want to and can afford. There are many things to consider like wheather or not the built in maps are important, compatibility with a pc, etc. But for what I need to do, which is find sunken brush piles in the lake and be able to go into the woods and return to the same spot, etc. the $89.00 etrex is all I need. There are, however, some very nice and very impressive units available out there...like I said, it's just up to you as to what you need and are willing to spend. Good luck shopping!!!!
    He among you who is without sin...cast the first stone.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the Etrex Legend Color with a case that hooks on your belt, a software program and a usb cable at Sportsman's Warehouse a couple of weeks ago, they had it on sale for $199.00. So far it has worked really well at getting me back to my waypoints. You do have to buy the mapping software to download onto the unit. Just be sure to get a unit that is WAAS enabled.
    James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: (KJV)

Post Thanks / Like

I would also choose the Lowrance H2O.
    Jim and Tammy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast