Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What am I doing wrong.

I went to the lake last week with my new 10 wally Marshal rod and reel. Pitched my jig out 12 feet plus 10 foot of rod and swam it back in . Got 3 great bites but could not seal the deal. switch to a spiunning reel and light action rod and limited out with 10 to 14 inch mess of crappie. why could I not get a hook up with the crappie poles? Are they just for live bait fishing verticle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boater777777 View Post
    I went to the lake last week with my new 10 wally Marshal rod and reel. Pitched my jig out 12 feet plus 10 foot of rod and swam it back in . Got 3 great bites but could not seal the deal. switch to a spiunning reel and light action rod and limited out with 10 to 14 inch mess of crappie. why could I not get a hook up with the crappie poles? Are they just for live bait fishing verticle?
    Same hooks? If so, it may be in the pole tip/action, too much give in the WM perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

Way more tip action in the 10 footer Am I supposed to "Cross their eyes" on the hook set ?

Post Thanks / Like

Use an 8` and found out early fishing 10- 12 fow with an ice bobber and 2 "glo" ice jigs to let the fish sink the float completely, point the rod tip dead at where last saw the float, bring up the slack counting to 5 steadily and set the hook; works 80- 90% of the time...

Post Thanks / Like

boater, being from Mississippi about all I use for crappie fishing is a 10' crappie pole or a 9' flyrod. Are you fishing with a cork or just letting your jig slowly sink?
    Mike Barnett

Post Thanks / Like

i am not a fan of fishing a jig below a floater i would much rather feel that thud nothing like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boater777777 View Post
    Way more tip action in the 10 footer Am I supposed to "Cross their eyes" on the hook set ?
    If you bend the hooks up so that they go into the roof of the fish's mouth, you can set it hard. If not, you'll likely just rip their lips to pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're fishing for crappie, there's not gonna be a lot of "thud". And, if you don't have fishing a jig under a bobber in your arsenal, you've apparently got something against catching fish. I've often caught 15 to 30 fish in a 2 hour period, mixed bags of bream, crappie, bass and catfish, twitching a crappie jig 15 to 18 inches under a bobber in 3 to 5 ft of water. Great way to introduce a kid to fishing. Twitching the bobber gives 'em something to do and the productivity brings them back...
    All men are equal before fish - Herbert Hoover

Post Thanks / Like

maybe it's because that you have gotten so good with spinning gear that you can catch more fish on it than anything elso.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe
    All men are equal before fish - Herbert Hoover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast