Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: white vs. blacks

Post Thanks / Like

Default white vs. blacks

We dont have white crappie in here in Florida. So I dont know anything about them other than looks. So do they have different patterns of feeding, spawn at different times than blacks, like slow movement, or most importantly taste different?? Just wondering.....
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

They taste the same. The blacks are more structure oriented whereas the whites are more likely to be found in open water at times. The blacks also seem to put up a little more of a fight when hooked, in my opinion.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I think the whites are a little softer fish to eat. In the northeast the whites seem to be behind the blacks when patterning.

Post Thanks / Like

Around here blacks tend to spawn near rocky structure, and whites seem to prefer woody structure. They all taste great to me, including blacknose.
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the whites start spawning after the majority of the blacks are finished. They inhabit the same body of water here and you generally catch a mixed bag of whites and blacks without fishing two different patterns. They both eat great to me.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Blacks aee more of clear water fish though can thrive in both they are more of a insect eater than the white crappie. White crappie like stained
    water and spwan in shalower water because of less light penertration taste is the same great!!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hair jig View Post
    White crappie like stained
    water and spawn in shallower water because of less light penertration
    Actually ... it's the other way around. There's more light penetration in shallow water, even stained shallow water. White Crappie will spawn shallow in heavily stained or murky water .. but, in clearer waters, they'll spawn as deep as 10' or more. It all depends on the ambient water temps vs the needed amount of light penetration.

Black Crappie tend to spawn first, given that they prefer a cooler water temp range. They also tend to stay shallow longer than White Crappie. Black Crappie prefer weeds/rocks, but will utilize wood if it's the only cover available. White Crappie like wood, primarily ... but will also utilize weeds or pea gravel.

Most all of the available info on spawning rituals, of either species of Crappie, is usually based on "normal" (& consistant) conditions. BUT - I'm not sure I've EVER seen "normal" conditions .... LOL !! At least not for more than a day or two ... then something usually comes along & interrupts the whole process.

... cp