Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota 55 Power Drive/AutoPilot Trolling Motor TROUBLESHOOTING

Post Thanks / Like

Question Minn Kota 55 Power Drive/AutoPilot Trolling Motor TROUBLESHOOTING

Just got the 55lb power drive with autopilot and sometimes the steering won't work. The blade will turn but the steering won't work. After a few minutes it will start back working. Go figure? Then I hooked up my copilot so that I could troll out the back of my boat. When I use the remote to control the motor, it ran for about 2 minutes then it stopped. Then I had to push the little motor button to get it going again. It kept stopping so I disconnected it and used my foot control. Am I not doing this right or could my motor be bad? Has this happened to anyone else or am I just the lucky one?? Jigsatwitchin'......................cd
    YOU ARE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM....OR PART OF THE SOLUTION!! CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A/p

Quote Originally Posted by crappie dog
    Just got the 55lb power drive with autopilot and sometimes the steering won't work. The blade will turn but the steering won't work. After a few minutes it will start back working. Go figure? Then I hooked up my copilot so that I could troll out the back of my boat. When I use the remote to control the motor, it ran for about 2 minutes then it stopped. Then I had to push the little motor button to get it going again. It kept stopping so I disconnected it and used my foot control. Am I not doing this right or could my motor be bad? Has this happened to anyone else or am I just the lucky one?? Jigsatwitchin'......................cd

First of all make sure you have good connections to your battery and foot pedal. Have you tried to slow down your speed then turn? I've had similar problems threw the years on mine ( 3rd A/P ) and when my battery runs low or bad connection it becomes hard to steer.. when I slow down It will turn for some unknown reason.If you just got the unit take it back and exchange or contact Minn-Kota..I have a number for a rep in Columbia S.C. if you want it,He may help you trouble-shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PINETUCK,

I'd appreciate that number. I had a hard time putting that motor on my boat and if I had to take that thing off I might lose it. If I could trouble shoot it as is until that spawn is over that would be great. I could do more in-depth repairs after the spawn.:D 'Preciate you! Jigsatwitchin'..............cd
    YOU ARE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM....OR PART OF THE SOLUTION!! CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie dog
    Thanks PINETUCK,

I'd appreciate that number. I had a hard time putting that motor on my boat and if I had to take that thing off I might lose it. If I could trouble shoot it as is until that spawn is over that would be great. I could do more in-depth repairs after the spawn.:D 'Preciate you! Jigsatwitchin'..............cd
    I sent ya a PM, Remember an Auto-pilot is like being married,you have to take the good with the bad:D Hard to live with out one!:D

Post Thanks / Like

i had one that acted cockeyed like that straight out of the box. i took it back to bps and got another motor and the one i have now seems to be working perfectly.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

If the battery is low it will do that also. And the auto pilot has to be within a few degrees of level to work right.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

My Power Drive sometimes looses connection on the steering. It happens at the plug on the wire going to the foot control. I just unplug it and plug it back in and it works.

I have also had the slow steering problem, but only in one direction, can't remember which direction, it's been a long time since last fall. If I slow the motor down it turns fine. New battery, must be bad connections.
    Lund Rebel XL 1625 Merc 60 4 stroke
    Yamaha T8 Lowrance HDS 5
    Minn Kota 70lb I Pilot 60"

Post Thanks / Like

Unplug the cable from the motor to the Co Pilot. Clean the pins and sockets on both connectors with Corrosion X. If you cannot get Corrosion X, use baking soda and white vinegar. Plug and unplug the connector several times to ensure the pins and sockets are clean.

Use any Battery Terminal paint to coat the pins and sockets.

Plug it back in and you should be good for another year or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Man I alway heard good things about minn kota auto pilot. I was thinking about getting one, but this may change my mind. Is this a common problem?
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

No.

All motors require a little maintenance from time to time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast