Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: favorite color combos

Post Thanks / Like

Question favorite color combos

Was tying a few jigs today in the color combos i normally tie and got to wondering what is everyone else favorite color combos

Post Thanks / Like

black/cart

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Natural colors. gray or black head, silver or gray body, tail color varies. Some chart, white, gray, blue works well for the tail. Maribou or hackle, best to have both.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Black/chartreuse. I use a lot of orange too. I mostly fish stained waters. You folks think favorite color combos are a regional thing depending on water clarity/food sources? Wonder what the most important factor in color selection is?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink IMHO ..... (& JUST my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Splitshot82 View Post
    Wonder what the most important factor in color selection is?
    LIGHT Thumbs Up

Or more accurately:
    Light penetration potential. Without light, all colors are basically black. Then water clarity comes into play, as particulates filter out the lights ability to penetrate to any great depth. Then depth, as color is lost across the spectrum ... due to the lack of light.

This is one of the reasons why "contrast" is sometimes key in color selection. With contrasting colors (bright/dull, dark/light) your bait is still noticable to the fish, in a greater amount of water depth & lighting conditions.

"My" favorite color combos are:
    Electric Blue/Chartreuse (*elec blue = bright blue w/silver sparkles)
    Lime Green/Chartreuse
    Junebug/Chartreuse

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have been tying what my wife and I call the "carrot" has orange body and olive tail. Got the idea from a tube bait, long story short ,my wife,friend and I was on Black lake, my wife is the only one that caught fish, 5 over a pound and a half, on her carrot . So after i started fly tying she ask me if I was tying any carrot colors.So one night I tied some crystal buggers in orange and olive next trip to Little Mo trout fishing caught 5 rainbows on color comb. Now that I am doing panfish jigs it is my #1 color combo, I can tell story of the "carrot" and it always makes someone want some .Have caught crappie, bream, bass, rainbow trout on this combo

Post Thanks / Like

it depends on water color. stained= bright oranges, pinks, chartreuse clear water i like natural colors white, silver, blacks, browns browns are lottery when they work they work gooooodddd useless when their not working, im guessing it has something to do with crayfish spawn.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Black/Chart
    Red/Chart
    Chart
    White

Post Thanks / Like

For crappie, I love the following combo:

quarter ounce (eighth ounce if fish are a little tentative) lead head, coloured white, with a red eye. On this, I put a sparkly translucent chartreuse grub with a twister tail.

Nothing natural looking about it, but crappie love it.

If fishing is slow, or if you are trying to pull some bigger ones out of a nest, tip that jig with a minnow.