Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In the market for a baitcaster

Post Thanks / Like

Default In the market for a baitcaster

I need some suggestions from members on baitcaster reel and types of rods that would go well with it. It would be for someone who has never used a baitcaster, nothing fancy, but doable for bass and walleye fishing.

Suggestions?

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have several had types of BC reels since the 70's. I still have a few that I use for different types of fishing. BC reels usually work best with a bait of 1/4oz or more, though you can get down to 1/8 once you get used to them. A good reel isn't a cheap thing to buy and folks generally try to buy something less expensive to see if they like it or not. This is kind of counter productive because the cheaper reels have bushings instead of bearings and hinder the smooth casting capabilities of a reel. More bearings means smoother, longer casting and easier to learn the finer points of this workhorse of a reel. Ambasadeur (SP) reels aren't pretty or small like the newer light weight models, but they still are a mainstay for several different applications, and their prices are reasonable. I still have one for stripers and 1/2oz and heavier baits. You really have to work at it to hurt em.I have 2 Shimano Curado's that I absolutely love, but their price is pretty steep for entry level. They cast like a dream and are built sturdy and light. My advice is to handle some of your friends reels, even if it's in the yard, and get a feel for them. If you could set a price limit of about $100 you could find a good reel, and should you not like it, it would be good enough to sell and get most of your money back. A light 6'6" medium action rod will get you off the ground and you don't have to spend lots for them. A quantum Torsion at Wally World is about $20 and will serve you well for the money. Spool it up with 12lb premium line of your choice and you'll be all set. Good luck and keep us posted as to how you do. Tight lines....Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with skeetbum's advice.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said skeet. You won't save any $$ by trying to save $$ on a BC. One of the cheaper models might serve you well for catfishing or trolling for crappie but the constant casting associated with bass and walleye fishing make the multi ball bearing reels worth the price.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier Baitcast Reels. here u go buddy it was my first bait caster that i bought my self adn have had noting but succees with it. it will hold braid line and any other it is cheap and i have had mine for 2 yrs now adn no problems with it i love it

Post Thanks / Like

ABU GARCIA AMBASSADEUR 5500C it was the first "REAL" reel my dad bought me. Still use it for trolling for specks and the occasional use while using shiners for bass. Used it up until last year for all plastics. Recently swithed to a REVO SX for all bass purposes. I like it especially when flipping, it leaves an ultra soft presentation. Although pricey if it lasts 1/2 as long as my 5500c it will be worth the cash. I will only buy ABU GARCIA when buying baitcasters for the rest of my life.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I gave my 14 year old son my bass pro viper reel and he took to it right off and has had very few back lashes to deal with. This is his striper hybrid outfit. It has a med. Action. XPS rod with 14Lb. Fire line on the reel. The fire line is very forgiving with backlash and if you do get a backlash they come out very easy.. Now with that said ! The worst line for back lashes is braded..
    Now if you have the money I would recommend the shimano curado 200e7 and you can get them at walmart for $150
    As for a rod I have a Wright McGill Blair Wiggins flats blue rod 7'9" I have all kinds of rods and this is the strongest most versatile rod I own. It suppose to be a medium heavy but it feels more like a good medium rod to me . It has some killer sensitivity to it to.
    Good luck and let us know what you got.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarter View Post
    I need some suggestions from members on baitcaster reel and types of rods that would go well with it. It would be for someone who has never used a baitcaster, nothing fancy, but doable for bass and walleye fishing.

Suggestions?
    Chris ... my first suggestion would be to look in local bait shops, those that have a "consignment" deal. This is where people can bring in their used rods/reels & sell them thru the store, receiving store credit equal to the price of the equipment being sold. You can find some decent deals on quality equipment, that's been taken care of but "traded in" for a upgrade, or from lack of use. I have several "consignment" reels, that I'm still using ... years, to tens of years, after purchasing. But, if they don't "feel" right, or "sound" right ... you put them back on the shelf !!
    My second suggestion would be to ask yourself, "do I really need/want" a baitcast outfit ?? Many people fish for Bass/Walleye, and other species that grow larger than Crappie, and still use spinning outfits. If I didn't already have many baitcast outfits, and wanted to change the species I was targeting ... I could still use over half of the Crappie outfits I now own. All I'd have to do is change the line to a heavier pound test. Many of my spinning reels came with a spare spool, so line size changes are quick & easy. Changing line size, rod length/action, or method/style of fishing, on my baitcasting equipment, requires multiple outfits to chose from.

One baitcast outfit for Bass/Walleye, is like choosing one outfit for all methods of Crappie fishing ... it's just impractical. The "method" used dictates the rod length & action ... and the reel would have to match/balance to that rod. There's not really any "all around" outfit that covers all the methods. Take a look at any brand of baitcast rods/reels, and you'll see a long list of styles, actions, and price ranges. (just like with Crappie fishing outfits)

I'll let my friend "Bassdozer" give you his take on this : Beginners Bass Rod Basics

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought another BPS Pro Qualifier reel to go with my old one and think that you will have a hard time finding a better reel for the money. Find them on sale for $79 this week. I like 7' rods in general, for a dual purpose bass/walleye rod I would look for a fast action medium-med/hvy rod. I am not a believer that somebody needs to spend $200 on a rod and have had a lot of good use out of the Ugly Stick Lite rods.

Post Thanks / Like

i have ambassador 1 reels if you need one i'll send you one for the orice of shipping they are good reels had a stroke and can't use anymore

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast