Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best Crappie Lake for numbers and size?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Best Crappie Lake for numbers and size?

My brother and I are planning to take our dad (76 yrs young) for a crappie trip next spring in Alabama. In your opinion where would be the best lake to go? Keep in mind also for lodging, numbers of fish and size? We will be coming down from Ohio in mid march to mid april.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bassky :p

Post Thanks / Like

They say that the South Sauty area of Guntersville lake is extremely productive in April. April is generally spawning time in that area. I think Weiss would probably be good also. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassky
    My brother and I are planning to take our dad (76 yrs young) for a crappie trip next spring in Alabama. In your opinion where would be the best lake to go? Keep in mind also for lodging, numbers of fish and size? We will be coming down from Ohio in mid march to mid april.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bassky :p

guntersville would be a good lake for numbers i think. i wouldnt waste my time with weiss from what i've heard. logan martin is supposed to be a good lake now, but i dont know if i'd eat them from logan martin. if you're looking for a great crappie lake and arent set on alabama, you may want to think about either sardis, arkabutla, or grenada in mississippi. from what i've heard, these are three top lakes in the south right now for size and numbers. i'm planning a trip for grenada next spring myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Insight on Mississippi Lakes?

Quote Originally Posted by abarkley
    guntersville would be a good lake for numbers i think. i wouldnt waste my time with weiss from what i've heard. logan martin is supposed to be a good lake now, but i dont know if i'd eat them from logan martin. if you're looking for a great crappie lake and arent set on alabama, you may want to think about either sardis, arkabutla, or grenada in mississippi. from what i've heard, these are three top lakes in the south right now for size and numbers. i'm planning a trip for grenada next spring myself.
    any info on Grenada you are willing to share? About how far from Nashville or Memphis?
    Best time to go? Place to stay for a week?
    Thanks,
    Bassky
    Last edited by Bassky; 11-05-2004 at 02:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassky
    any info on Grenada you are willing to share? About how far from Nashville or Memphis?
    Best time to go? Place to stay for a week?
    Thanks,
    Bassky

i have never been to grenada lake so i havent worked out all the details myself on where to stay, but from what i've heard, mid to late march is the time to fish the lake while they are still on the prespawn pattern. you could ask around these boards and find out if april is better if you prefer to fish the spawn. i prefer the prespawn simply for the size of the fish. grenada lake is around 100 miles south of memphis on interstate 55. i've heard there's a lot of standing timber and sunken trees to fish around. check out the crappie usa website for the tournament this year there. look at the weights of the 10 fish stringers as compared to other lakes and you'll see why we're going there this spring. also i think crappie usa is having a tournament there in march this year. if you plan to go there, you may want to schedule around that. i dont know how many participants they'll have, but it could get crowded. let me know if you find a good place to stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Marinas or Resorts?

Quote Originally Posted by abarkley
    i have never been to grenada lake so i havent worked out all the details myself on where to stay, but from what i've heard, mid to late march is the time to fish the lake while they are still on the prespawn pattern. you could ask around these boards and find out if april is better if you prefer to fish the spawn. i prefer the prespawn simply for the size of the fish. grenada lake is around 100 miles south of memphis on interstate 55. i've heard there's a lot of standing timber and sunken trees to fish around. check out the crappie usa website for the tournament this year there. look at the weights of the 10 fish stringers as compared to other lakes and you'll see why we're going there this spring. also i think crappie usa is having a tournament there in march this year. if you plan to go there, you may want to schedule around that. i dont know how many participants they'll have, but it could get crowded. let me know if you find a good place to stay.
    I was looking around some websites on Grenada lake and I can't seem to find if there are any marinas or resorts on Grenada. I did find the State Park had some cabins for rent, but couldn't find if there were any docks for overnite slips or gas. Is there a website out there for Grenada lake and its accomodations.
    Thanks,
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grenada Lake

There are no houses or docks on Grenada Lake at all.
    Just a few boat ramps to launch your boat.
    We fished the Crappie USA Tournament there a few weeks back.
    Lots and lots of standing timber but fishing was tough for us
    There are several motels on the main strip about 4 miles from the launch site.
    Lots of good food. Everything you need in 1/2 mile strip.
    I will be going back in the spring.

I live on Weiss Lake and we still have some good fishin also
    we are currently trying to build up the crappie populations
    Check out www.crappieunlimited.com for some of our projects

thanks
    dockshooter
    Dock Shooter