Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: EARLY cold water crappie

franklyfishing Guest

Smile EARLY cold water crappie

Hello everyone. I am new and would appreciate any advice you can give me. It is still very cold here in the NE, but the temps are going to be up in the 40's and I want to go out for crappies on Sun. The water is let down in the two areas that I fish for crappie,so there are no weed beds to fish in the remaining water that is very deep with plenty of good structure. Where do I fish and do I use minnows or lures. I like both under the right conditions. If I use lures are there any colors that I should favor in very cold water? Thank You very much. Franklyfishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just my 2 cents

I know out here when it was that cold we used both minnows and lures. I am a firm believer in fishing bridge pilings. Try any docks, and the structure you mentioned. The lures Crappie Seeker caught fish on where white and silver assassins.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Very cold water is usually very clear unless you've had a recent heavy rain. Our lakes are unusually muddy for this early in the year, so dark colors are the best bet here. Any other time, we've caught crappie in cold water after ice out on pink or pink/chart/white jigs. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Imho

Quote Originally Posted by franklyfishing
    Hello everyone. I am new and would appreciate any advice you can give me. It is still very cold here in the NE, but the temps are going to be up in the 40's and I want to go out for crappies on Sun. The water is let down in the two areas that I fish for crappie,so there are no weed beds to fish in the remaining water that is very deep with plenty of good structure. Where do I fish and do I use minnows or lures. I like both under the right conditions. If I use lures are there any colors that I should favor in very cold water? Thank You very much. Franklyfishing
    Small minnows ... drop to bottom and bring them up 1ft every 5-10mins, until you start getting bites.
    Small jigs ... 1/32oz or lighter - 1" plastics or marabou hair ... Vertical Casting to deep wood, alongside bridge pilons, under docks or around dock posts (if docks are stationary & in relatively deep water ... >10ft), alongside standing trees in deep water (if present), along dropoff or channel edges, humps with stumps, or along cliff walls on Northern shorelines (if present).

In cold water/clear water ... Go small & go slow ... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what you use as long as you enjoy the time out , you will have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by franklyfishing
    If you are talking water temperature, I would suggest deep water channels and points, adjacent to nothern bays. You can never go wrong with live bait. Lure colors, I like to match the hatch with native bait fish or use the old stanby, light conditions, light colored lure, dark conditions, dark colored lure. Do you live near Pelican Lake? I understand they have some big 'gills there. Dave.

franklyfishing Guest

Roberta,
    The lure colors that you mentioned.Do they apply to murky or clear water.

Thank You for Your reply.

Franklfishing

franklyfishing Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sunfish
    If you are talking water temperature, I would suggest deep water channels and points, adjacent to nothern bays. You can never go wrong with live bait. Lure colors, I like to match the hatch with native bait fish or use the old stanby, light conditions, light colored lure, dark conditions, dark colored lure. Do you live near Pelican Lake? I understand they have some big 'gills there. Dave.
    Sunfish,
    I am not familiar with Pelican Lake. I am located 50 miles south of Buffalo and we have a lot of lg rivers, streams, ponds and of course Lake Erie. They all hold lg gills, which are not fished for here. Since I worked and lived in Louisana and two other states in the SE for many years I find fishing for gills with light tackie is a ball! I ate a lot of them in La. but for the bones they were actually sweetand very good. I love to cook and if you have a recipe, let me know. Would be appreciated.

Thank You for the reply
    Frankylfishing