Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knots to this problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knots to this problem

I've gotten a good handle on the rapala knot using it for all my crankbaits.

I use the standard Clinch knot for the rest of my lures such as spinners, spoons and swimbaits. Spinners work well and function correctly when moving in the water, however its the spoons and swimbaits that don't seem to work properly.

I am wondering if i am tying the correct the knot on these lures or if it may be that my retrieve just isnt fast enough. Both of them just seem to waddle side to side that just looks unnatural to me.

All in all, the swimbait seems to flip 180 degrees from the left side to the right side. While the spoons overall movement seems to make one big circular pattern through the water while waving from side to side every couple of inches through the water.

Post Thanks / Like

What size and type line are you using? Are you tying directly to the lures, or using a snap or snap/swivel?
    Mississippi Crappie and Alabama football...Life is good.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried both ways to try and get the movement perfected, neither made a difference. The line is a braided Sufix 832 10lb test line on a 6'6" MH spincast reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarter View Post
    I tried both ways to try and get the movement perfected, neither made a difference. The line is a braided Sufix 832 10lb test line on a 6'6" MH spincast reel.
    It may be the reel. I have heard that spincast reels don't really have a high enough gear ratio to run spinnerbaits fast enough to get proper action. I'm not saying that dogmatically, just what I have heard. I fish mine with spinning gear, though. The spincast reel I use for bobber fishing.
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

From what you are explaining it sound as though your baits are running correct. The spoons should wobble side to side and the swimbaits should walk the dog with twitches. And you want the rapala knot on both of those. Anything with erractic movement needs to be free to move.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I incorrectly described the spoons actions, it spins more like a giant willow blade in the water than side to side. I find the light upward jerking to be about the only way that i can retrieve the spoon. Another thing might be that the spoons are rather heavy for their size 1/2oz. I might try and invest in some lighter ones from Blue Fox or if anyone recommends a certain brand for crappie and bluegill.

As for the swimbait, its a soft swimbait that is suppose to be stationary while the tail is broken into 5 sections that give it a natural swim action, instead what i get is the whole lure flipping over and over again. Since i lost one today because i tied an incorrect knot, i decided to cut my losses and just stick the worm and grub swimbaits, i might get a hard swimbait later on in the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you catching fish with them? If so, don't worry about it. I would use a swivel and leader though to cut down on line twist with the spoons especially.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

Crankbait seem to be the only thing I've caught a fish on that is in my tackle box. So I pinned the problem with the spoons and swimbait on presentation and natural movement.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris .... spinning swimbait & spoons sounds to me like they're being retrieved too fast. I don't think the knot you're using is the problem. The spoon should have a ring in it, to tie your line to ... but, it's usually best to have a ball bearing swivel (like a Sampo) when using a spoon, just to help cut down on line twist. The swimbait rolling over from side to side, could be retrieve speed, but could also be that it's body is slightly out of alignment (not truly "straight").

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like theyr running correct to me. as long as they aint spinning in circles. everything sounds correct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast