Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Don't go to Okeechobee!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Don't go to Okeechobee!

Well, the trip from Kentucky to Lake Okeechobee wasn't worth squat. We fished with and talked to tons of fishermen down there, and they have never seen the lake this bad. For miles, nothing shows up on your locator. There is literally no vegitation in the lake. The water is so dirty/muddy, it looks like black coffee. Most everyone is fishing the Kissimmee river, and fishing it at night. We fished in the Kiss. River, and caught 0 fish in 2 days. Total waste of time. We talked to someone from the local newspaper while having lunch, and she said "We are really struggling for tourism. Nobody, I mean Nobody is catching fish!" She also stated that it would take 5-10 years before this lake was back to normal. So we left and drove to Mississippi. (By the way, we caught 100+ fish in Ole Miss.)

Hurricains have totally ruined this lake. Evidently when the hurricains ripped through the area all vegitation was killed, and there is no oxygen in the water. This results in a huge fish kill. It was nothing to motor around the lake and see fish floating on the surface. I'm no biologist, but I have fished Okeechobee before, and we used to wear the crappie out in the big "O"

Don't go.
    Last edited by Waylonh; 03-20-2006 at 01:57 PM.
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Post Thanks / Like

Same in central Florida. Very slow fishing. My first winter fishing in Florida so I am not an expert on the state. The Gators stare at you and wonder why you are fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Central Florida

Don't know where you are fishing in central Fl, but I fish that area in Jan, Feb and March and the fishing has been good to excellent. Probably about as good as it has been in the past 5-6 years.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MAINEIAC
    Same in central Florida. Very slow fishing. My first winter fishing in Florida so I am not an expert on the state. The Gators stare at you and wonder why you are fishing.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Did You Fish Istopoka ?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

Winter Haven & lakes to the east. Had one good day on Cypress,several on Marion (Haines City). The north Winter Haven chain was dead. As I say I am not a Florida expert and the shallow lakes require an adjustment. I am an observer and did not see anyone else catching more than I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maineiac

Several Yrs. Ago Pierce Was A Great Speck Lake In That Area

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to let everyone know before they spent their time, and money on a trip to the big "O" If I had this information before we left, we wouldn't have gone to Okeechobee. I'm not running the place down, I actually love the it, but the fishing stinks at this time. I do suggest Going to enjoy the weather, eat a few oranges, and see a few gators! Hopefully, Okeechobee will be back to normal in a few years, and I'll be back.
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Waylonh

Have Several Friends That Have Wintered There For Years--they Are Saying The Same Thing
    Istopoka Is 40 Miles West Of Big [o] 3o,000 Acres 3-6 Deep --same Thing --too Many Hurricanes Rolled The Bottom -- Same Results

redh Guest

Just fished Lake Istokpoga first week of March did real will, that was my 1st time on the lake. had some 14" fish. Going back next year.

I have been going to Okeechobee for 15 years heard it was bad. That why i went to Istokpoga.