Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite brand of mono

Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite brand of mono

What brands of mono do you use? Are there any brands to stay away from? Do you have any tips for re-spooling reels with the stuff?
    I put some 4lb mono on my new reel, and some 8lb on a spare spool for my other reel. As soon as I opened the bail BANG! Instant birds nest! I made sure that the line was coming of the new spool of mono in the same direction as the reel was rotating, like a good boy, but that didn't seem to help. Did I done somethin' wrong?
    The line is Zebco Omniflex, same exact label (other than the name) as Shakespeare Omniflex, which I have used before without issue. Did Zebco buy the name from Shakespeare and then screw up the line?
    Any hints or tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks, all!Thumbs Up
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

For mono I like Stren and Trilene. As you spool up stop and check that there is no twists in line when given some slack. If it is twisted flip the spool over and carry on. Ya might have over filled as well. If I remember right I tried that omniflex once and it had a ton of memory and soon changed it out. That can cause problems as well.

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy of mine showed me a new method of spooling line a few weeks ago , I couldn't believe how simple it was and that it actually worked !
    I've only tried it twice with an ultralight and 2lb. SOS and a light action with 4lb. SOS , but I was impressed .

Method was to run the line through all the guides and tie to the spool (of course) , then place the spool of new line in a small box on the floor .
    Hold the rod with it's tip top guide pointing down and touching the spool of new line , create tension with the thumb and forefinger of the hand holding the rod and start cranking , keeping the tip top guide right on the revolving spool .

I don't know why it works but it does .

Post Thanks / Like

I had the line run through all the guides. The new line was over a bolt which was clamped in a bench vise. I kept some tension on the line while spooling. Maybe I just need to get some different mono. I filled the spools to about 1/16-3/32 of an inch from the lip.
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

for spinning reels that turn clock wise the line should come off spool counter clockwise. you can also let your line out while in the boat and trool with nothing on and the twist will come out.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just change it out for Stren or Trilene and you wnot get that problem again. I like Mr. Crappie and Trilene in 6# & 8# tests.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Crappie line for me, been using it for about for a long time no issues.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy mono according to the diameter rather than lb test, you will find most mono very very similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Sufix without a doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy2610 View Post
    I had the line run through all the guides. The new line was over a bolt which was clamped in a bench vise. I kept some tension on the line while spooling. Maybe I just need to get some different mono. I filled the spools to about 1/16-3/32 of an inch from the lip.
    Also that seems a little too full, especially for small reels, as they're in a tighter coil than larger reels which gives you the boing effect.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast