Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: raising wax worms

Post Thanks / Like

Default raising wax worms

Anyone ever try raising their own wax worms?
    In the past I raised meal worms and would like to try my hand at wax worms. I have searched the internet and found lots of information but would like to hear it from someone first hand.
    THanks
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like

if you have any response please keep my name and drop me a line.have read about it on the internet but it sounded too scientific for me,but would love to know a common mans version.think they would be great to fish around may flies and bream on beds.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to make an attempt at it today.
    I have to get some honey for the substrate mix, already have the wheat bran for raising meal worms.
    The worst that can happen is I waste some honey and bran and a few wax worms.

Post Thanks / Like

I was successful with it when I was younger, but lately I have tried a couple times and failed. I'm not sure if I just have the honey/bran mixture too heavy or if the wax worms I am getting shipped are not of very good quality or have been cold too long and arrested their development. I do remember it wasn't terribly scientific, just honey and bran. One mistake I remember making the first time is underestimating the larvae size once they hatch out. The 1 instar larvae are really small and they have a tendency to escape out of the container. A bunch ended up pupating outside the container and a bunch of wax worm moths ended up in my parents house; needless to say they weren't very happy about it. Hope you have better luck than me.

Post Thanks / Like

kmatcek give us an update how are they doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Kamacek ::
    I've been raising them for several years now with good success. I too, went online and got a lot of information . I tried the babyfood recipe with some success . The best way I've found is to use old honey combYou can go online and find a beekeeper near you and they are glad to sell the old honeycomb . I made boxes out of 3/8 in plywood , large enough for a frame of honeycomb to lay in . Cut a 1 in. hole in the top and put a fine screen on it for ventilation . Put in a frame of honeycomb and dump in a small box of waxworms and keep it warm . I keep mine at 85 degrees in the winter time . In the summertime you won't need any extra heat . Keep them in a hot out building if you want . I aalso feed mine bee pollen I get from
    www.betterbee.com . They are very easy to raise in the summer , a little harder in the winter . I take my extras to a local baitshop and he keeps me in minnows . PM me your mailing address and i"ll send you a start
    er kit to get you going . Give it a try , I think you will enjoy raising them. If you can't find honeycomb , I'll hook you up with my supplier.
    Norm

Post Thanks / Like

What size box did you build?
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I've been raising them for several years now with good success. I too, went online and got a lot of information . I tried the babyfood recipe with some success . The best way I've found is to use old honey combYou can go online and find a beekeeper near you and they are glad to sell the old honeycomb . I made boxes out of 3/8 in plywood , large enough for a frame of honeycomb to lay in . Cut a 1 in. hole in the top and put a fine screen on it for ventilation . Put in a frame of honeycomb and dump in a small box of waxworms and keep it warm . I keep mine at 85 degrees in the winter time . In the summertime you won't need any extra heat . Keep them in a hot out building if you want . I aalso feed mine bee pollen I get from
    www.betterbee.com . They are very easy to raise in the summer , a little harder in the winter . I take my extras to a local baitshop and he keeps me in minnows . PM me your mailing address and i"ll send you a start
    er kit to get you going . Give it a try , I think you will enjoy raising them. If you can't find honeycomb , I'll hook you up with my supplier.
    Norm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I've been raising them for several years now with good success. I too, went online and got a lot of information . I tried the babyfood recipe with some success . The best way I've found is to use old honey combYou can go online and find a beekeeper near you and they are glad to sell the old honeycomb . I made boxes out of 3/8 in plywood , large enough for a frame of honeycomb to lay in . Cut a 1 in. hole in the top and put a fine screen on it for ventilation . Put in a frame of honeycomb and dump in a small box of waxworms and keep it warm . I keep mine at 85 degrees in the winter time . In the summertime you won't need any extra heat . Keep them in a hot out building if you want .
    Norm
    Could you post a picture of your setup, I would like to see that.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

[email protected]:

A picture of your setup would help. Where do you get your wax worms
    and how fast do they multiply..

Post Thanks / Like

I have two little waxworms at home. I can't tell you how I raised them though. That's personal.:p

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast