Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To paint or not to paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Default To paint or not to paint.

Do painted jig heads really help catch crappie? IMO-The silver color lead head to me is close to the color of a minnow. The jig body has the color and movement the fish are attracted to. So, does the added color do anything or is it to appeal fishermen to buy it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used unpainted for the last couple years, and I have not missed a beat. I really don't feel it makes a difference, as long as your jig body is the right color. About the only time I use a painted head is when I'm fishing deep water, and then I will use a bright colored head.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I use plain unpainted jig head I agree that the body color is the most important
    Wishin I was Fishin

Post Thanks / Like

I catch 100 to 1 on unpainted over painted, however when the water is muddy, sometimes a colored head catches more

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use a jig head that glows,so i use glow powder paint and often in orange.It goes well with the black and chartrues tube i use regularly.
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---DONT EVERYBODY ? Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

I use a colored jig head to add contrast to the jig color. When I use a chartruese jig head and body I am adding length to the jig to make the offering appear bigger. I too will use a lead head jig if I determine that the fish are biting short. I feel they will take the jig deeper if they think it is a smaller offering. jmo EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are very picky jig eaters... A simple change of head color or body color or skirt color can make the difference between a few good bites and a stringer full of slabs... I know a lot of you will disagree with me but crappies are some of the most color sensitive fish out there.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont disagre the one time i went this spring my buddy was using a Black and char i was using it on a 1/16th ounce head and he was using a 1/32 i couldnt catch a fish till i swithced over to a 1/32 ounce head and it like i turned on a light swithch

Post Thanks / Like

Depends, are you trying to catch Crappie or Crappie Fishermen?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The painted jig heads may be more for the fisherman, but I like using contrasting colors in stained water. I mainly use Flor. green, bright pink, and bright orange heads.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast