Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What size line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What size line?

A lot's been said about the kind of line to use. I would like to know what size? I just filled a reel with #4 Maxima. I really like the brand and have used it for all kinds of fishing. Yesterday I got broke off 2-3 times while landing fish. I may have had my drag a little tight, but I was surprised that the line broke. Maybe a #6 would be better? Thanks

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, sir .... I've been using 4lb test mono for over 20yrs, and I don't remember any times I've lost a Crappie from line breakage. I have seen my friends & fishing partners try & lift a big Crappie, out of the water & over the side of the boat, & break the line from doing that ... several times. I was doing the same, with the same line, and boating all of my fish. The difference was, I think, that I wasn't in quite as big a hurry to get the fish in, as they were. Their fish didn't break the line from shear weight, or flopping around .... "they" broke their line from trying to yank/jerk the fish out of the water & into the boat. All of us were lifting the fish out of the water, by holding onto the line.

Since you mention that your drag may have been a little tight ... is that an indication that you lost the fish "fighting" it (during the retrieve) ... or does your statement "while landing fish" literally mean while you were lifting them into the boat ??

In any event, even if you change line brands or pound test .... do yourself a favor : Take a dry Q-tip or cotton ball & run it around the rim of your reel's spool, and the inside of every guide on your rod. If any cotton fibers are removed from the Q-tip or cotton ball .... you've found a knick, that could be responsible for causing damage to your line.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Possible you may have got a bad spool of line,it happens.From what I've been reading 4 and 6 lb seem to be line of choice.As far as brand it's a "to each his own" thing.Hi-seas has a co-polymer called Black Widow that is awesome!I use it Walleye fishing in the river hasn't failed yet.But it starts at 6lb test.Wish it came in 4lb.Crappiepappy made a exallant point with the q-tip and cotton balls that I admit I forgot all about!Cause I have been there,a nick on a spool haunted me for days and tested my temper BIG TIME.
    Last edited by crappiejgr; 04-25-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

No Pappie, it broke as I was bringing the fish in,not lifting it, and it looked to be where the jig was tied. I've used the same knot for years and never had trouble with it before. I'm going to check my line today, maybe I got some bad line. I had it put on where I bought the reel, maybe it's lighter than #4. Thanks for the tip about q-tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie 1 View Post
    I had it put on where I bought the reel, maybe it's lighter than #4.

That was your problem right there. You don't know how long that brand and test lb. line has been sitting around.
    Sounds like the line has weaken from sitting.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info here, all pearls. That brand of line is pretty good stuff for me.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CP:

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I've been using 4lb test mono for over 20yrs, and I don't remember any times I've lost a Crappie from line breakage.
    Maxima is very good line and one of my favorites. I'd say you just got a bad spool, or maybe it was old and/or damaged.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you break a piece of #4 with your hands? I have 2 kinds here. One is Trilene XT and the other is the Maxima #4 I can break them both. It takes a pretty good pull, but they will break. Thanks for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad to see this thread, because I was about to change my line. I currently use 4# and recently read a local magazine article where a guy said he lost a few fish here and there on 6#. I am new to fishing, so I will probably leave on my 4# and see what happens.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie 1 View Post
    ... I may have had my drag a little tight
    That may be the culprit. I keep my drag fairly loose. I was catching bluegill on Saturday, and some of the bigger ones were pulling a little drag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast