Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing a jig with a slip bobber?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing a jig with a slip bobber?

I put a clear plastic slip bobber on today with a 1/16 oz. feathered jig. I put a very small sinker about a foot above the jig. Is this the right way to fish this combination? Thanks..

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

I try not to use any thing other than the jig head weight, but sometimes it doesn't work. What you're doin is just fine. It's landed many fish!

Post Thanks / Like

good floats are made to use on a specific weight, like thill or crappie stalker, they're labeled 1/16 or 1/32 and so on, so they float the particular jig just right, if you look up some of Russ Bailey's videos on the internet he's an expert on bobber fishing, he'll open you up to some new techniques. but you don't want anything between the float and the jig head, sometimes they bite light!!
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I've done that a number of times in different situations and caught fish
    "the objective of war is not to die for your country but to make that sorry sob die for his" General Patton

Post Thanks / Like

Default slip bobbers

Keeping the float "just" floating is the best way to go with sensitive fish like crappie.
    Either with the right size float float for the weight as mentioned or with a bit of split shot added.Find what works best for you.The guys who use the smallest floats usually do best in my neck of the woods.Baltimore reservoirs & tidal creeks.
    Fishing can be anything youn want it to be

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...forego the weight above your jig. Just use the jig and slip bobber. If you don't have enough weight, then add a second jig on a dropper loop above the first. I use this rigging a lot this time of the year, with 1/32 oz. marabou jigs.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

That's one way to do it. I like fishing a jig without a cork,unless it's real shallow and then I'll use a cork.
    A crappie day fishin beats working any day!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a bobber that has the line pass through at its base. It also slips and requires a bobber stop. I take over 3000 fish this way each year and people are still amazed that I do it with bobbers. Granted I make my own improvements to thrill, and am in the process of manufacturing my own...still, to me there is no better way to control depth of bait presentation, vertically jig, and cross pop jigs from over 50 feet away from fish, or drift in light wind,

High wind is the only enemy of bobber fishing.

Bobbers used properly are just plain deadly.

As a guide I find new people love bobbers going down, even if its in 19 feet of water...lol

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I use a bobber that has the line pass through at its base. It also slips and requires a bobber stop. I take over 3000 fish this way each year and people are still amazed that I do it with bobbers. Granted I make my own improvements to thrill, and am in the process of manufacturing my own...still, to me there is no better way to control depth of bait presentation, vertically jig, and cross pop jigs from over 50 feet away from fish, or drift in light wind,

High wind is the only enemy of bobber fishing.

Bobbers used properly are just plain deadly.

As a guide I find new people love bobbers going down, even if its in 19 feet of water...lol

D
    +1.......and at the age of 32, I still love to see a bobber go down....some things just never get old!!!

State College, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I agree...forego the weight above your jig. Just use the jig and slip bobber. If you don't have enough weight, then add a second jig on a dropper loop above the first. I use this rigging a lot this time of the year, with 1/32 oz. marabou jigs.
    Bump. I've tried both ways. Now granted just the bobber and jig casts like a laser, but I almost have to put a swivel or tiny split shot between my jig and bobber. If I don't I find the pressure from the bobber cuts my line above the jig and I lose everything. And with Road Runner pro 2 jigs and some Thill bobbers it can get expensive quick. I've tried all different knots and I consider it worth it to miss the occasional super light bite to keep my gear. Any super secret knot i don't know about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast