Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springtime Itch, Anybody Else Have It?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Springtime Itch, Anybody Else Have It?

hi, anybody else dying to get out for some crappie fishing? looks like we have a nice warmup coming at the end of this week so hopefully spring is here! looking forward to another spring fishing season. cant wait. best, mark

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,

Just found this great resource for crappie's . I usually just fish oneida and the sourrounding area for them . I only fished cayuga once with no luck. I see your from union springs . How is cayuga for them? I am only familiar with it from duck hunting.

See ya
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Default cayuga crappie

hi don, im new here too. lots of great info. too bad there isnt more activity on the NY forum. maybe in the spring it will pick up. cayuga is good on the north end for crappie. maybe not one after another but the ones you do get are normally above average in size. im a big duck hunter too, we've probably crossed paths if you hunt down in my area. how is oneida for crappie?? best, mark

Post Thanks / Like

Mark ,

Catch a lot of crappie on the south shore of oneida usually starting april 5th till mabye 20th . Usually lots and lots when conditions are right. average size I would say 10 to 11 inches. ocassional slab but not very many . North shore of the lake is a week oe even 3 later . More slabs but the bite is usually slower. I almost alaways fish from shore or marinas for them but this year I will hunt more for schools with the boat . If you come out this way I would be happy to show you around . I work night's so I can hunt or fish almost any day I want

Best part of crappir fishing up here is watching the ducks ! There all over us when were fishing.

When does the bite usually start on cayuga ?

Don

delta007 Guest

Default Finaly its Crappie time :)

Got my crappie limit yesterday in fair haven park. Any other hot spot?

delta007 Guest

Hey Don;
    I'm from Liverpool and fishing in fair heaven park for crappies. I would love to fish in Onida since its closer for me. The only place I know is Todd Harbor. Please suggest me any hot fishing spot for crappies.

Thanks
    Delta
    Last edited by delta007; 03-30-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hew guys I currently live in NC but grew up in Oswego, NY I know this is a crappie board but if anyone fishes for perch please post! Delta007, if the boat docks are not in yet at Writes Landing in Oswego, I have always done well on Crappie over the sunken barges during late afternoon in the springtime. Fish with a minnow about 1-2 feet under a bobber. When they are really turned on the crappie will actually come up and hit the bobber!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oswego fishing

Hey REDBOAT,

Where are the sunken barges ? I assume the river but I don't know . I haveused wright's landing a few times . They don't mind anyone fishing from the dock's ? The crappie get under them good or just once in a blue moon ?

Sorry for the questions but you made me really curious.
    Thanks,
    Don

delta007 Guest

Thanks REDBOAT;
    I fished for bullheads from Writes Landing in Oswego this year. Did OK so far. But I'm interested to find a spot in Onida lake (south shore or near I-81). Did well in Fair Heaven park so far but that is too far for every other day commute.
    -Thanks
    Delta.

Oh!!! You can fish in Fair Heaven park pond for Jack Perch. Got some really nice one yesterday while fishing for crappies with spike and jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

DWS, The Sunken Barges are located off the parking lot on the west side of the boat ramp. You would need to be on the west end of that lot about 30 to 50 yards off shore. Best time to fish there would actually be before they put the docks back in (Spring time) or after they take them out in the fall. No motor necessary just row over. Unfortunateuly, once the slips are in they will not let you fish off of them. The bite is good during the day for perch then late afternoon for Crappie.

Delta007, yes, my Father fished Fair Haven and Port Bay this past week and did well. Unfortunately, he is not online at all but I'll call him and see if he has heard anything from Onida Lake...

Down here in NC, the Crappie are bitting well and I may go out this afternoon. Stripped bass are beginning their run up the rivers, and depending on the weather (and "Honey Do" List) I may go after them this weekend.

-REDBOAT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast