Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Striper Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginner Striper Fishing

Anybody got any advice on tactics for targeting stripers? I need info on lure choices, presentations, types of structure to look for, pretty much the whole nine yards. I fish mostly on Lake Conroe; man made resivoir. Any and all info is welcome. Thank you all.
    Get some stink on your hands!

Post Thanks / Like

Live bait. You can anchor or drift it down lined with about 1 1/2 oz weight. Pull planer boards with either no weight or a split shot on the leader with some free lines down the middle behind the boat. Hooks are personal preference but remember when selecting hooks that you have to keep a thinner wired hook if your going to nose hook the shad, plus a heavy hook will hurt the action of your bait. I use 1/0 Gama Octopus Circles most of the time, looks like to small of a hook for a big stripe but it will get them right in the corner of the mouth. I'm no expert at these stripes at all but that's mostly how I fish and what I have observed others do as well. Someone else can hopefully help us both with lure selections for the fast trolling with lead line and all that jive.

Post Thanks / Like

Try pulling sea striker u-rigs with 3 oz center weight with 4"swim baits on 3/8 oz jig heads I put 8 swim baits on 6" leaders and 1- 18" on the center. I let out 55-75 ft of line and troll at 2.75 mph with the outboard, idle on most boats. I use 7 mh rod and a Diawa 57 line counter reel spooled with 50lb mono test and salt water 80lb or better snap swivel Pull close to shore line in the early a.m. and late p.m., during the mid day move to the main river channel running a zig zag pattern in and out of the channel, if nothing hits move to the humps and pull across and around the edges of it. If there are any islands in the lake pull across both ends up stream and down stream. Most of the striper I have caught have come from some kind of ledge or hump some times as shallow as 15 ft of water. you can cover a ton of water in a day and don't have to wonder if your bait is still alive or on the hook, once you have one hit stay in that area and repeat the pattern. If you go more than 45 mins without a hit move on.

Sometimes I pull the same point 5 times before moving on and get the hit on the 5th pass its not uncommon to get 2 striper on the same rig at one time and 1 on the other you'll need a big net and a u-rig retriever Bass Pro or on line will have them because you will get hung up and at $30 bucks a rig you don't want to lose them. Bass Pro has some rigs already made up with Bucktails and they work good to I pull 1 of each. I've caught 206 with this set up since nov. 5th

Post Thanks / Like

reelsmoke, THANK YOU for posting all of that info! That is what it's all about, sharing info.

Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like

Your welcome EJ I'm glad to share I spent alot of hours last year around 120, pulling live bait and caught a few fish maybe 15-18 & lots of skunks,and catfish. Made the switch to U-rig trolling this winter, Just won my first tournament this past saturday,and have now caught 210 striper on a lake that had a 7500 striper fish kill this summer,most of the experts say all the striper are gone due to the kill,but this technique is catchin more than live bait X10. A big fish now is 7 lb and I have landed 4 at 7 plus lbs. so big fish hit them to. I've enjoyed it so much that I have logged 800 hours fishing since Nov. all with u-rigs

Post Thanks / Like

Live bait is best way around here, we freeline blue back herring and pull them with electric motor using planer boards and freelines.

when water temp gets much above 70 we can start fishing with fresh cut bait, we just pull up to a point with deep water nearby and cut the herring in half
    and put a the pieces on the hook, circle hooks, and throw out 5-8 lines. Throw them off back of boat and at least one out to each side very shallow.

You will catch a lot of cats this way but when a striper hits he takes the bait like he stole it, cats will nibble.

Also when summer time gets here the lakes will develop a thermocline and we troll with bucktails w trailers and many other type of lures(cisco kids are favorites for some around here).
    We use downriggers and also some will use poor mans downrigger which is leadcore line.

The U rigs work great as well but can be a PITA and you will need heavier equipment to pull them, I use Capt Mack Farr's U rigs(see his web site and dvd's)

New to crappie fishing but I can give you plenty of information for stripers

By way what size stripers do you get in your lakes down in TX, we get them up to 64lbs(current SC/GA record), my personal best is 32lbs

For the big stripers we use BIG BAITS, rainbow trout or gizzard shad. I actually have used trout for bait and brought home my bait and cooked it when I have some left over

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Thump Doctor. The posts you are getting are some good information. I have fished for stripers for a long time and if you pay attention to these posts you will catch fish. Finding stripers can be a task at times and I don't know your lake so I can't give you much information on this, but time of year and water temp. plays a big role in where they are at and type of rig to use. If you need help on how to rig some of these baits don't hesitate to pm me and I will help you with this. Good luck and good fishing.
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Post Thanks / Like

amazing info even though i dont even know what's a u rig is, but at least i know where to start. anyone know a good stripers place in maryland? I am new to striper, new to crappier, new to fishing in general.

Post Thanks / Like

Umbrella rig.
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taisfus View Post
    amazing info even though i dont even know what's a u rig is, but at least i know where to start. anyone know a good stripers place in maryland? I am new to striper, new to crappier, new to fishing in general.
    U-rig is Umbrella Rig or I think you Northern boys call it a Parachute rig

Hey if you are in MD, not sure how close you are to the coast but ya'll have REAL stripers up there in the saltwater.

I do know of some NY lakes that have hybrids and stripers but not sure which ones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast