Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Picture help

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Picture help

I have some pictures on disc but don't know how to get them here????
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures

first make sure that they are not too large file size wise. There is a limit on how much memory a picture can use before it's posted in here. I can't remember the exact size but it's less than a megabyte in size. Pictures of less than 400KBytes should work if not then try to reduce their size by making them smaller (Cropping them) or reducing their color depth or make them black and white if necessary. Color depths of 256 should work fine. also there are limits on the file type. JPEG works and that format will help compress the pictures size and memory requirements.

All you have to do is have the picture on your hardrive or on a disk in your computer.

Each post has an area where you can manage attachments. Go to that section and then left mouse click on the "Manage Attachments" button. It's a dark gray button on the screen and is found in the Additional Options section of each post you make. Now click on the Browse button and then using the browse feature you can look though your computer's hard drive files or on the disk in your hard drive and find the file you want to upload to the crappie.com file server. Click and choose your file and then click on the upload button. Click close when the file is fininished uploading and then click on the submit reply button to submit your posts as you normally do. That is all there is to it.
    Note: bmp doc gif ppe jpeg gpg pdf png bsd txt and zip file endings are valid extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I have some pictures on disc but don't know how to get them here????
    Regards,

Moose1am

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Moose1am. I think I need some sort of program for working with pictures. The only thing I have right now is a program called Imaging and I can't get the pictures small enough with it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Imaging Programs for Digital images

For the longest times I refused to purchase any imaging programs. Mostly due to their high costs. Adobe Photoshop was always a highly recommended program but it cost a fortune to buy. I guess Adobe finally realized that they had finally captured all those that were willing to spend over 400 bucks for their program and they came out with PhotoShop Elements 3.0 which is a more limited version of photoshop and sells for less than 100 bucks. I ended up finally getting my hands on a copy from Wal-Mart. But I also purchased a copy of Paint Shop Pro 8.1 about last April. I wanted to use these two programs to help me splice some maps together. But they work on digital pictures and for digital scans as well.

Before that I use the imaging software that shipped with MS Windows98SE.

Wish I were better at this type of software but I must admit that I am still in the learning phase. Even after reading a few books on the subject it's confusing to me.

One thing that you can do in the future is to adjust the scanner software or the digital camera to take pictures that can be saved in smaller file formats or compressed to a smaller size. That way you won't have to manipulate the photos with software that you don't have.

You can get a trial version of Paint Shop Pro 9 online though. I may have to download the new version to see if I like it. Right now I just ended up paying for version 8.1 and there would have to be a lot of new stuff in ver 9.0 before I shell out more money for that new version.

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Thanks Moose1am. I think I need some sort of program for working with pictures. The only thing I have right now is a program called Imaging and I can't get the pictures small enough with it.
    Regards,

Moose1am