Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default bait

i have just started to striper fish and i'm having a hard time catching bait any tips? also i have been looking at a farm raised bait called a black salty are they anygood? just wanted some input before i go out and spend money on a bad bait.

Post Thanks / Like

The best bait for stripers depends on the natural bait available in the impoundment. Lake Murray SC has blue back herring along with some gizzard shad. When you go to the local bait shops they recommend the herring. Lake Wateree SC does not have herring naturally but has plenty of shad and bluegills so herring doesn't work all that good in Wateree as the stripers are use to shad which is the best there. The salty minnow you mention is purchased locally at Wateree and is used to catch stripers but shad remains the best bait there. Herring is the the best on Murray and Clarkshill. I have used larged breeder minnows on Norman years ago but haven't fished there in so long I don't know what is best there. I expect the salties will work most anywhere but maybe not preferred. They will catch stripers on Wateree and Murray.