Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cave Run

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cave Run

any one haveing any luck yet and if so where u catching them at and what depth thanks

Feb 26 2006
    Last edited by mbarrett; 02-26-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been yet but am seriously thinking about going this week since the weather is suppose to be a little nicer. I just can't get into real cold weather fishing. Had a real good year on the Cave last year and I think this will also be another good crappie year there. If you go please post a report and I'll do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

yea I be going wensday suppose to be 65 so I post a report soon as I get
    back I hope I have good news for u as well as for me:D

Post Thanks / Like

I was on the cave on the 15th muskie fishing. The water was very low and clear by the damm and murky by the river. I'm new to crappie fishing but I got hooked last summer jigging the trees for crappie. Where do you think I should start looking in the cold water for crappie? Spider trolling, or are they always in the trees, i'm thinking of going friday.

Post Thanks / Like

I would expect the crappie to still be holding tight to structure (trees, brush, etc.) in the creek channels at at least 15-18 feet. If I can break away from work I'll be on the water either Thursday or Friday. If not I expect you both to have a really good report to post. When I say good report I'm talking limits of big 'uns. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

caveman: From all the articles I've read, the craps are probably in the main lake channels on most of the lakes statewide right now. I'd look for any structure near breaks in these channels, and vertical jig any you find. Sooner or later, you'll probably find a group of craps.

Bad thing about this time of year is that most of the crappie hang so close to the structure, fish finders usually won't pick them up. I'd say you'd be better off to fish 1-2' above the structure, since the fish usually look up for food, but be well prepared to get snagged a lot if you use this tactic.

Well, looks like I've pretty much repeated most of what Backlash said, but I wish you luck. And indeed, give us a report on what you find.
    All in all you're just another fish on my wall.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the cave 3-5-06 water temp was 45, air temp was about the same. I tried spider trolling in beaver creek and jigging the trees. It was very nice to be on the water, but I found no crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm?!!! :o

Were you using a fish finder?
    All in all you're just another fish on my wall.