Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creel and Size Limits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Creel and Size Limits

Do you think there should be creel and size limits on crappie. This is one thing I would like to see myself. Maybe a 9 inch size and say a 20 fish daily limit.
    Just wanetd some input on this subject. Lets hear it folks.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Works for me

Actually, last spring we were talking to an ODNR fish biologist and he said that Ohio will eventually go to a nine inch limit on most, if not all lakes. We were talking to him at Acton and he said that's one lake that they want to get the population down before they do that. Too many dinks.

Some lakes do have limits, mostly just on size, not daily take. Some of the five Rivers MetroParks lakes in Montgomery County have a ten fish limit. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking with a local guide the other day about this very issue. His feeling was that if the state feels it necessary to put a limit on a lake that it should be on creel limit, not size limit. His reasoning is that if you take all the larger fish out of the lake and leave only the smaller fish, then you have all these smaller fish competing for the existing forage. The smaller fish are then limited on the size of the forage they can consume. He feels it will lead to an over abundance of stunted fish. We have three large Corps of Engineer reservoirs here in Illinois. Two of them have a ten fish and ten inch limit. The third one has a 25 fish limit but only 10 can be over 10 inches. I am anxious to see down the road which of the two methods proves to be most successful.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

A few lakes here in Ohio have slot limits on LM bass and there's some indication that slots are a better way to manage fish since it clears out some of the smaller (and better eating) fish.
    Yellow perch have a creel limit only here and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of them.
    I don't see the point of taking 80 or 100 fish out of a lake like some of these guys do. Unless you're feeding the homeless, why do you need that many fish? - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

the slot is something i never thought about with crappie, I guess this could be a good idea. I will have to talk to our biologist at MWCD. Thanks for the input both brought up good ideas
    Tim
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Just a bump to the top to let all know we got our size and creel limits set for 2010. I love it. 30 fish and a 9 inch limit on most of our lakes will be enforced after march 2010.
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

I like the expanding on it. Just think it should be perhaps statewide. I read about the 9" limit, but there are just some folks who keep way to many small crappie. I think statewide 9" limit and 30 fish would be simple.

Post Thanks / Like

A limit is fine. But think about it all the females in the spring should go back you do not kill one but 500 give or take think about it

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wester View Post
    A limit is fine. But think about it all the females in the spring should go back you do not kill one but 500 give or take think about it
    WOW. May as well close down fishing in the spring. That way they'll be 501 fish that wont get eaten at one time.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I think statewide 9" limit and 30 fish per boat per day
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast