Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dave and Eric on 12 Mile Bayou.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dave and Eric on 12 Mile Bayou.....

My ol' fishin' buddy and Eric has found a home on 12 Mile Bayou, he got an early start today and boated 9 nice crappie, 11 1/2 to 14 + inches. Again, they were caught on blue and white jigs between 6 to 10 ft. It was a cool morning with a heavy fog, temp was in the lower 60's. They were scattered but eager to bite. He released a good number of 10 inchers, and was back in time for a late lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fishing 12 mi. Bayou

I'm a new member from North La. Wondering if you are fishing tops you put out on 12 mi. Bayou or are you fishing brush that is sticking up out of the water. Are you moving down the banks with your trolling motor or do you anchor when you find them. Just curious I never fished 12 mi. Bayou before. I have seen it through the rear window of Bass Pro Shop.
    "Just one more drop of my Jig"

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12 Mile Bayou......

Quote Originally Posted by Rod & Reel
    I'm a new member from North La. Wondering if you are fishing tops you put out on 12 mi. Bayou or are you fishing brush that is sticking up out of the water. Are you moving down the banks with your trolling motor or do you anchor when you find them. Just curious I never fished 12 mi. Bayou before. I have seen it through the rear window of Bass Pro Shop.

Hello, Rod & Reel.....Welcome to crappie.com and the LA board. We're glad to have another member in N. LA. to trade reports with. We fish natural brush and blowdowns in 12 Mile, along with the bridge pilings and bottom structure, of which there are many. We put in at the end of Stoner Ave, and have only about a 3/4 mi. run to the bayou. We usually tie up to the brush if it is heavy enough to hold the boat, picking up what will bite and going to the next one. If you watch your sonar, you will see old downed trees and tops, and in those places we have to anchor. Since Bistineau has been pulled down, 12 Mile and the Red River has been our main source of crappie. A word of caution if you decide to try 12 Mile, there is a no wake zone about 1/2 mile up the Bayou where the Red River police dock their boats, you don't want to disregard their warning, or it will be expensive for you, if you get my drift. They're good guys, but they don't want you blasting thru their area. That said, it's a good place to fish for crappie,and it will get even better as the weather cools. As you saw on my post, they're some what inconsistent on a daily basis, but if you work it hard, you will catch crappie. We're planning another trip soon, maybe we can give you the tour if you have a boat, mine is a little small for three. I will drop a post to you when the weather is right to see if you want to give it a try. Good luck......and good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

labill, thanks for your reply. Let me know when we can meet and go try out the bayou. I have a 22 ft. Pontoon Boat rigged with a electric anchor, rod holders, depth finder and a trolling motor. We can fish 4-6 people easy. Also have a new Bass Tracker rigged for spider fishing. Am going out of town this Wed. thru Sun. Weather permitting maybe the first week in November we'll try it. Awaiting your reply.
    "Just one more drop of my Jig"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,R&R.....just sent you an email. The Bass Tracker would be your best bet till you learn the Bayou. November sounds good. Will wait for your return to call.