Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ice Fishing At Night With Aurora Led Fishing Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice Fishing At Night With Aurora Led Fishing Light

Well, I thought I would give the Nucli-eye Aurora underwater fish light a try under the ice for Crappie. We caught several fish under the ice just before dark, so we thought the light might keep them there. However, we did not get a bite after dark using the light. We stayed 3 hours after dark.

The light was 2 inches below the ice and reflected beautifully. We were fishing in 8 feet of water over an old gravel road. It was so cool to see the green lit ice floor glow in the dark. Our chantey looked like a space ship..lol

Anyhow, we wondered if the light does not work in shallow water? We were fishing 7 feet below the light.

Has anyone else ice fished at night using an underwater light?

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Next time try it in 20-25 feet of water and see what happens. Might make a BIG difference if the light doesnt light up the whole water column. Just guessing though...never fished thru ice before.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I've done what you did. Don't give up! I've concentrated on deeper brush in the lakes as well as channel breaks and oxbows. Sometimes I'll go earlier in the morning and get them going before sunrise. Had great times and wasted time. The spaceship thing, well, lets just say you can really play on that, flat out freak people out. One thing for me, chart under green lights is awesome, especially the neons and limetruese's. My buddy likes the jiggin shad as he calls out the play by play driving me nuts. Its also the chart/white one. Were using the fluorescents 13" and 2'. I have one of the original LEDS and its insufficent with only 24 bulbs, the fluoros really light it up. Good luck
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestion:
    Let the light go down about 2' to give it a chance to reflect off the underside of the ice.
    By doing that you will have a larger mushroom effect.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info so far guy's. So just to make sure. Is it the general consensus that the light should not be used in shallow water? Lets say less than 10 feet? Or have some of you found that you can fish in shallow water using the light?

In the summer I usually fish in 20 feet of water or greater. The bait fish swarm around the light. But, under the ice we did not see bait fish swarm.
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.