Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cold Weather

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold Weather

Hey

We have had several days in a row now with temps getting down to high 20s low 30s. How should I expect this to affect the fishing? I am planning to go tomorrow. Should I expect the fish to be in the same area they were last week? Will this cold weather turn them off?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy041486 View Post
    Hey

We have had several days in a row now with temps getting down to high 20s low 30s. How should I expect this to affect the fishing? I am planning to go tomorrow. Should I expect the fish to be in the same area they were last week? Will this cold weather turn them off?

thanks
    What was it like last week, and what is the water temp?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been catching them, but they are not "attacking" the jig. Instead they are grabbing it and staying still with it. I have had to really concentrate on the bobber to notice this lite bite! But I am catching them.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds fairly typical of how they bite after a cold front has passed thru. They can get very passive. You might try using as small a bobber as you can get away with. I like Thill floats when they are barely taking it. Also let the bobber disappear 4-6 inches under the surface before setting the hook. I used to lose a lot of fish by setting the hook too soon. Using a nibble may help them hang on to the bait a little longer.

If your water temp has dropped quite a bit, look for the fish a little deeper and buried up in cover. Tightling will be more productive than most methods.