Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best Crappie Books

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Crappie Books

Been crappie fishing for many many years now and wanting to "sharpen my saw". Wanting to pick up on something new that maybe I've taken for granted or simply didn't know.

What are the top 5 best crappie books out there?

And if not apparent from the title, a quick description or opinion please.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that crappie go in schools, but have never seen one that I thought could read.:D

Seriously---stick around here and you can get more good info than any book will give.

Post Thanks / Like

I had asked previously if anyone had read "ultimate crappie techniques" by Samual Calvin...no replies. That one and others are available on ebay for a good price. So far, I have not read any books on crappie fishing. This is the best reading I've found.

But, I'd love to hear what else is being read out there.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy wanted to read those books when he was deployed. So he bought most of those crappie books you see in CrappieWorld Magazine. He said that they were informative but a lot of stuff he knew how to do. The way I look at it is that you are bound to learn something new that will help you out one day those slabs aren't biting to well.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The ones I have and MY thoughts on each

Crappie Wisdom: lot of technical stuff, a lot up north, can be dry, but some good info.

Masters' Secrets of Crappie Fishing: More in a story type with a lot of southern type stuff, like it.

Practical Guide to Catching More Crappie: Same as above but with some good graph info.

Crappie Secrets: Good reading from just a reading point of view.

A Fish for all Seasons Crappie: Gapen is more into river fishing.

Both of Steve Wunderle's Books, New Techniques that Catch More Crappie and Advanced Crappie Secrets, Some pretty good info and also some graph tips. Like them both.

All of the above are kind of dated, by that I mean they were printed some time ago.

The last one I have is: Winning Crappie Secrets, Slow Vertical Trolling. That is the Capps/Coleman book and is all about slow trolling and crappie tournaments, it was printed in 97 and I believe the most up to date book I have. Lots of good info on trolling and how to max out your catch. I have read it more than any other one I have but have also read the 2 Wunderle books more than twice and Buck Taylors Practical Guide a few times also as well as John Phillips book. I would love to hear of any other books on the subject that would be helpful and not just fun reading altho on the cold windy days thats about all you can do.

Forgot one, Charlie Brewer on Slider Fishing, not strictly a crappie book but does have some good info for the whoever like to cast for crappie. This are strictly MY opinions on these books and I'm sure others will differ. Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by SteveJ; 02-13-2006 at 09:28 AM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff
    Likes brentalous LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie books

Thanks for all the replies. The collective knowledge via this site is tremendous. If anyone has other good crappie books, please share.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a number of books listed at www.crappiestuff.com I haven't invested in all of them yet but several look very interesting. If I just learn one new technique that I am successful with, it is worth the investment.