Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: few questions about gear....

Post Thanks / Like

Default few questions about gear....

1st....does any one use a BnM float and fly rod??? curious as to the action/how stiff this rod is....looking for a rod that would cast a 32nd jig and small cork well and not be to horrible stiff.....heres a link BNM Fishing .....or if any one has any other ideas in the same price range im all ears....would like somthing around 10ft...

2nd would like opnions/options on a reel in the 50 to 70 dollar range....this would be used for alot of cast/retrieve.....im pretty partial to 6lb test so thats what would go on it....any ideas or experiences would be wonderful.....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Never used one, but they look nice. I have several BPS micro lite float and fly rods and really like them. They are much cheaper than the B &M's. As for reels, I am partial to Pfleuger Presidents and Supremes, you may find a President in that price range on sale somewhere. Shimano's are excellent reels also, and they have a model in almost every price range.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

+ 1 on the BPS MIcro Lites
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I have the B&M FF and its a pretty stiff rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another vote for the BPS Microlite.

For the reel, I'd get a Shimano.

Post Thanks / Like

Go compare a Daiwa Excelor to any Shimano in that price range, actually any reel in that price range..
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

FEELAY / G3 / DB4D....thanks for the suggestion..... I'm looking at the float-n-fly micro lite in BPS catalog, they are a very nice looking rod, looks like a winner to me . like I said I would be using this rod to cast 32nd (most of the time) and 64th (occasionally) jigs under a small float/cork for crappie. In your opinions this pole won't be to stiff cast that with will it. Also it won't over match crappie by being to stiff either will it. I don't wanna feel like I'm crappie fishing with a bass or catfish rod. That's really my only 2 concerns. It has them listed as med/light so I'm guessing that they will be what I'm after, just figured I'd ask those who have em. Thanks again.

BAITMAN....based on what I'm saying above, you think the B'n'M is to stiff?? I hate to fish with a rod that's to stiff, but honestly Jack at B'n'M took great care of me with a problem I had with one of their products. Their customer service is awesome, and I really honestly like every B'n'M that I own, but if its to stiff I know I won't be happy w/it, sounds like by your response it prob is.

GRIZZ.....thank you sir, will do that.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink James ...

I have two of the Duckworth 8' (2pc) FnF rods (w/counter weight system) ... I fieldtested these rods for Jack/BnM, before they went to market.

The blanks are IM6 .... and have a (slow action) parabolic bend -- ie - they bend almost evenly over the length of the rod .... the bend is shaped like this .... (
    They're not stiff, nor are they "fast action" [fast action = more tip bend than mid section bend]
    Their cork handles are very short, in comparison to most other rods. (see pic on webpage) And they handle well, for those that cast with "wrist flicks".
    The counter weight system allows you to balance the outfit, using most any sized reel ... I currently have Mitchell 308X reels on them, but did have a UL reel on one of them (at one time) and it balanced & performed fine.

Sorry, but I know nothing about the "other" model of FnF rod that BnM sells ... other than it's got a longer, cork "Tenn handle", and comes in 9' & 10' lengths. You'd have to contact Jack about the blank action ... but, my guess is it's an IM6 slow action/parabolic bend, too.

From all the feedback I got from the FnF anglers I talked to (during my fieldtesting) .... an 8' rod is the shortest any of them would even think about having, and most preferred a 9-12' rod. These were mostly Smallmouth anglers, and they use these rods to cast a traditional FnF rig (braid main line - 3way swivel - snap-on counterweighted foam float - small hair jig on a long leader) ... so they need the extra length rod to make casting easier (since their jig may be on a leader that is longer than 10ft).

I've used my 8' FnF rods to cast, and to throw a FnF rig (jig/float) ... and they did a good job. I've mostly used them with 4lb test mono & 1/16oz jigs .... and the wide spool Mitchell 308X reels allow for a good casting distance, with that weight.

... cp

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use an 9' WM signature series for the type of fishing you're talking about. I have a few friends that love their 12' models. I took Grizz's advice last year and got an excellor reel. Very glad i did. It blows my shimanos out of the water. Wont hesitate to replace my older reels with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw on another thread that the Diawa Excellor is on sale at Land Big Fish for something like 50. Never used the reel, but I've seen it recommended several times here. Personally, for a high end reel, I'd go with a Shimano in my price range.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast