Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A boat predicament...

Post Thanks / Like

Default A boat predicament...

This last summer I found a guy on craigslist that wanted to trade his boat for a stereo system I had. I agreed to do so and now have myself a 1971 Glastron Swinger with a 115 HP Johnson outboard. The only problem is the guy I got it from has no idea when the last time it was in the water and it's in pretty poor shape. The registration sticker on it is from 2003.

First of all we did a float test by putting it in at Lakewood in Salina. It floated and didn't take any water, that was a plus!

We started cleaning it out and started playing with the ignition some to see if we could get it to spark but with no luck at all. I'm thinking the wiring needs to be replaced.

I guess my question: is there anyone in the Salina or Central Kansas area that could make a house call and tell me what I've got on my hands? I would take it somewhere but both tires are in pretty sad shape (one is flat and off the rim).

Post Thanks / Like

My advice is to first go on amazon.com and get a book or manual on the motor. Or you might be even be able to get one through your local library as sometimes they can borrow books from larger libraries. I got one from my library once and photocopied the sections I needed. Usually the manual will have a step by step chart to help with troubleshooting.

Post Thanks / Like

There is/used to be boat rebuilders just North of Salina at Bennington. They might be able to help. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Charlie365. I have a 1982 johnson on the back of my old beater boat. The best thing you can do with an engine that old is to fix it yourself because then you will know what to do when it starts acting up. "No spark" probably wouldn't be an on-the-lake repair job, but you could still do it yourself with a manual and basic tools in your garage.

I've got the manual for mine. Most of the repair jobs for it are pretty simple, step-by-step, and I was able to easily find all the parts I needed on the internet. Good luck to you.
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D

Post Thanks / Like

don't know how handy you are but first thing i would do is a compression test my son-in-law really trusts a guy in great bend had a couple minor problems at waconda went to dealer in glen elder great bunch of people mechcanic seems real knowledgeable

Post Thanks / Like

hey you might check out TinBoats.net &bull; Index page Its a forum for people who rebuild boats and do custom work to them. they have a motor forum page and it might could be of some help to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it may be a stator, but may be wrong, just a fyi. Pronounced with a long a.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with KDV, check the stator, but first thing I'd do is check the compression, if it doesn't have good compression, you could be looking at some serious repairs, but at least you'd get a better idea what you're dealing with. Pop always told me, "If it's got compression, getting fuel, getting fire and getting them at the right time, it's gotta run!" If it's been sitting for a while, which it sounds like, you may also have varnish to contend with in the fuel system, unless someone ran it dry before they put it away, it's almost a guarantee. Anyhow, if the compression's good, the other things can be dealt with reasonably, if you're handy. Good luck, some of those old engines were hard to kill.

"God made man, Colt made man equal, Winchester made man equal at greater distance."

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Stators are about like power packs...they dont come cheap.:rolleyes: (I've replaced BOTH on my little 50 hp motor.)
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.