Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reels on jiggin' poles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reels on jiggin' poles

What reels are you guys using on your long jiggin' poles?

Those $12 gray Shakespere reels work out nice because they make it easy to keep track of how much line is out (1 revolution of the handle equals 1 foot, ect.)
    But the d*mn things are the biggest P.O.S. ever made. I've bought 8-10 of them and don't think I've ever had one last long enough to change line on it.

I bought a couple of the B&M (black ones) thinking that they were better quality, but they are just the same reel with different sideplates.

Does anyone make a reel of that design that is of better quality ? I'm thinking about going to a flyreel, but they lack anti-reverse and won't allow the line counting like the little baitcaster types. FEED ME !
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-06-2006 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i USE THE CHEAP ZEBCO 33'S. ALL I WANT THEM TO DO IS HOLD LINE. I HAVE MINE FOR 4 OR 5 YRS. NO PROBLEMS. SOMETIMES CATCH THEM ON SALE FOR AROUND 10 BUCKS.

Post Thanks / Like

A Zebco 33 would be too heavy for my taste, besides I'd be holding them upside down and reeling backwards, that would drive me nutts.

The little Zebco underspins might be the only alternative, but I really don't like closed face spincasters much. Is that what everyone else is using?

I like the little baitcaster lookin' reels, but I want better quality ones. Nobody makes a good one?
    Last edited by Fishinwrench; 02-06-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up If you are looking for something lite....

If you are looking for something lite.... Check out these.....

Line Minder Reel

Very inexpensive also!

Post Thanks / Like

Naw, thanks but this isn't for a cane pole.

I'm needing something for B&M 10 footers, they have a reel seat and low profile guides. The little "Shakespere wondereel20" balances great, and does ok until they lock up or the spool rim cracks. They can't take much pressure...heck who am I foolin'...they can't take being used at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a zebco 11 they are a small reel and just right I think I gave about $12.00 each at Wall-Mart.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Quantum XR series spinng reels. They sell for arounf $20.00. Have been very good reels for the money.

Post Thanks / Like

i use those little zebco 11 trigger spincaster reels 4lbs. test line and they work great hold up for 4 or 5 years and for the money u can't beat them. they have never given me any of the problems u have mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinwrench
    What reels are you guys using on your long jiggin' poles?

Those $12 gray Shakespere reels work out nice because they make it easy to keep track of how much line is out (1 revolution of the handle equals 1 foot, ect.)
    But the d*mn things are the biggest P.O.S. ever made. I've bought 8-10 of them and don't think I've ever had one last long enough to change line on it.

I bought a couple of the B&M (black ones) thinking that they were better quality, but they are just the same reel with different sideplates.

Does anyone make a reel of that design that is of better quality ? I'm thinking about going to a flyreel, but they lack anti-reverse and won't allow the line counting like the little baitcaster types. FEED ME !
    I have a friend that has used both the gray and the black ones you are talking about and now uses the red BPS Uncle Buck UB 20(I think thats the #) and says they are the best of the 3, they all look the same to me. He says the Shakespear one is a piece of junk also. You have to go to a BPS store to find it as far as I know, have not seen it in their catalog or on line, may try using that #. Wally Marshall has a small baitcaster for crappie fishing but think the price is about $30. Wrong $40, http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-06-2006 at 06:56 PM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

i have both a wally marshal and uncle bucks mini baitcast from BPS and have not experience any problems with either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast